Wednesday, April 29, 2009

If it's broke...

...then fix it!!!!

Lindsay wore her purple splint for 3 days like we were told. We took it off Tuesday night for a couple hours; she was still in a lot of pain and was again holding it quite still and favoring it. So, I called the orthopedic doc today to get her in. And since it is the same doc we go to for Kate's feet AND she had her next follow-up scheduled for next week, I asked them to combine and make back to back appointments for me asap. Awesome. They got them both in today.


So we go in with our awesome x-rays from Urgent Care (the ones with the "inconclusive" evidence of a break). Dr. Hrasky was not in this week but the PA's, Nina and Sarah, are awesome. Super fantastic, actually. They put the x-rays on the light board and said "Did they tell you that you broke your arm?" Turns out that 1.5" long vertical line IS a break after all!! So they immediately start to cast it and talk colors - oh, if the orange was a pretty orange...so she got purple...with sparkles! Sarah started the cast and I had to juggle really quick while I had Kate in my lap and Nina was examining her feet to grab my camera - "Mama's got to blog this stuff!" I said. Nina and Sarah laughed. But doh! No memory card. So I grabbed a couple of quickie phone shots.

The good patient in her sling (sling just for a week) carrying her x-rays.


Afterward we went straight to Office Max to get a silver sharpie because Nina suggested that would be so cool for signing on the purple sparkly cast. Of course! Why didn't I think of that? And then out to lunch...she picked Wendy's. Funny thing - we were making the phone calls to grandma's and grandpa's to tell them about the broken arm and cool sparkle purple cast. So the funny thing was that a mom was there with her son who had a broken hand and was making the same kind of phone calls! But she was incredibly unhappy with the doc they saw and was talking about needing a second opinion because he may need surgery - seriously, his cast looked one step better than the fake casts the girls make with paper towels and tape. Luckily, I have been working on organizing our medical records for the girls, a la Katrina's advice, and had extra business cards in my pcoket and could give her one! I was able to give her a double awesome referral since I have two patients seen there!

Bottom line: Cast for 4 weeks. Sling for 1 week. No PE for 6 weeks. No gymnastics for 8 weeks! I got a note that will hopefully get our tuition back for this session...

Oh, and I will blog more about Kate in another post but the quick answer is that they are thrilled with the progress of her feet correction thus far and since she is starting to pull up on her feet, we are going to wearing the splints only at night and daytime she can go barefoot! Yeah!


...

12 comments:

Janel said...

We have used Dr Hrasky for the last few broken bones here at our house, They are great there!! Did you know that if you go to the Scottsdale location they will Valet park your car for you for free?? The purple sparkles are cool!!

Danika said...

Sorry to hear it's broken, but glad it's officially on the mend. A seven year old in an arm cast is probably much easier than a 20 month old in a full leg cast! Which Urgent Care did you go to? And what's up with that gymnastics place? I drove by it the other day and it's all torn up...

Maddy said...

HOORAY for Kate, but BOO for the cast. How funny that they both broke the same arm! Truly BFFs!!!!!!

At least it will be off in time for swimming lessons. And swimming is great rehab for it.

Quincy Sorensen said...

Just about the cutest patient I have ever seen!

And what good news about Kate!

You've been busy. :) But, what else is new?

jeannie said...

Tell Lindsay that she is now officially in the broken arm club with Bobby, even if you are not completely sure if it is broken? IF she has to wear a cast then it counts!

Wonderful news about Kate! She will love discovering her feet again.

I am so sorry to hear about no gymnastics. I know how much Lindsay loves it. Everett missed almost half the baseball season when he broke his arm.

Alison + Brandon said...

That is one spiffy cast!

Katrina said...

AWWW, thanks for the shout-out! Okay, self-centered and prideful moment here, but I am so totally proud of you for having some extra cards! I feel like I have made the world a little bit better place, and some random kid out there will be well taken care of. *sigh* Life is good, and Meredith is awesome and SO incredibly smart. ;D

Sorry about the break Lindsay girl. But what a way to make grape juice out of sour grapes, or lemonade out of lemons! Well done. And yeah for Kate! We should DEFINITELY go out for ice cream. If only to celebrate!

The Evans Family said...

That's a dang cool cast-I want to sign it with a silver pen! Sorry about the broken arm Lindsay, but it looks good in purple.
I keep all of our important medical records in one binder with tabs for each member of the family. I may have to decide if I want each member to have their own. Hmmmm...

P.S. Yay Kate!

James said...

Was Lindsay missing school to go shopping at Office Max? Isn't that Truancy?

I would have chosen the sparkly purple too!

Kayleigh said...

Tell Lindsay I think that her cast is awesome! :) She's lucky she doesn't do PE! :)

love you!♥

Abbey said...

All these broken bones! Kyndal just got a cast put on, I hope you feel lucky that your oldest girl has it on and not a toddler! I was trying to get K in to Dr. Hrasky but their appt was too late and a toddler in a splint is laughable. Sorry Lindsay! I hope it heals well for her! Oh and CUTE chalkboard plate!

Tenley said...

I KNOW, how it feels, been there done that, it's all over now :)