Friday, April 24, 2009

Take your kiddos to work day!

Leaving for a "hard day at work."



The 4th Thursday of April is designated as the National Take Your Child to Work Day
and Steve's company always participates with a theme, goodie bags for the kids, real fake ID's like Daddy's work ID, (but their ID's don't magically unlock doors and open parking structures) and activities and snacks to keep them entertained. I kind of always thought this was a time to go and learn about your parent's workplace, what they do there, life lessons about work ethic, that sort of thing. Nope. At least not at The Apollo Group. This year the theme was nutrition and health and they got backpacks, pedometers, healthy snack bags, t-shirts, and played relay races in the common area outside the elevators. Steve has a daily 9:30am meeting and decided to include the girls on his agenda. Lindsay got to share about her newly learned cursive writing skills and Caroline was supposed to talk about facts she learned about the Earth this week but got shy. At noon I met up with them and brought Kate for some hanging around time and photo opps. Lunch in the cafeteria finished their day - they love to eat in the cafeteria. Steve would take us anywhere for lunch but the girls chose this.

Roaming the halls, meeting with the Boss, talking on the phone, eating lunch. That sort of thing. I give Steve a hard time about boxes every time I go to his office ...he changes offices fairly frequently or at least often enough that he never finishes unpacking before he gets moved to another place. Glamorous life of a software manager. He spends a lot of time there. I think I need to go and help him out and spice the place up. I just don't get out there that often. Even his framed photos are all still in a box from the last move!!!

Thanks for making this a fun day the girls look forward to all year, Steve!!

7 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

I have really enjoyed these past two posts, for different reasons. I love that the girls got to work with their fun dad.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts about your mom. A good friend of mine (on my blog roll: I go by my middle name) lost her mom to breast cancer four years ago, and she often writes and talks about the loss of her mother and the sadness she feels raising her two girls without her.

I think you do a good job teaching your girls about your mom and remembering her and honoring her. No doubt she is so very proud of you and your lovely family.

Lea Ann said...

How fun! I wish Walt's work would do a kid day. On the weekend if he has to go in real quick he might take them and they love it.
We should get together for a double date again sometime. Walt also mentioned you might want some home buying advice. Give me a call anytime.

sara said...

Oh man; what a fun tradition!

Kary Ann Hoopes Photography said...

that is so cute! you really do have the cutest family ever

jeannie said...

This is a wonderful tradition your girls have with their Daddy. Some of my fondest memories are going to work my my Dad, and I was even blessed to have worked with him for three summers. I have been meaning to write about it for some time now!

The girls look darling in their finest attire! How long did baby Kate get to stay?

Maddy said...

SO MUCH FUN! Ellie was so jealous and she asked if she could go to work with Dustin for the day. I said, "To the bedroom?"

Maddy said...

PS Thanks for watching the kiddos yesterday. Sadie had so much fun she keeps whining, "I want to go to Lindsay's house."