Thursday, April 16, 2009

Are you ready for a Throw Down???

Throw Down, Mutual Night Style!

The Mia Maids and Teachers hard at work frying bacon, mashing avocados, grilling burgers, mixing seasoning for fries, testing milkshakes... lots of milkshake testing!

Wednesday night we had our first Combined YM/YW Mutual night since I was called to the YW presidency a few weeks ago. This activity was a total riot and we had a blast doing it. (I think the youth had fun too! ;) ) We were invited by the YM to a Bobby Flay style Throw Down and would combine Beehives/Deacons' MiaMaids/Teachers; and Laurels/Priests and compete with Burgers, Fries, and a Milk Shake.

I got a little nervous because the at the home of the YM President, there is also a Deacon, Teacher and Laurel so their was a lotta smack and trash talk - they had been planning and strategizing for days and my group? Well, the other leaders and I sent a couple text messages and had a couple brief conversations on the phone, made some assignments and hoped it would all come together!

Our menu?
Burger - seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning and Chili sauce
-stuffed with two cheeses and bacon bits (the real deal, nothing from a bag)
-topped with sharp white cheddar, letttuce and tomato
-Toasted sesame bun with fresh avacado spread

Fries - steak fries with custom seasoning blend
- mayo/BBQ sauce fry sauce like Training Table in Utah

Shake -We had a couple options. The kids on our team spent most of the hour experimenting
with diverent combos (banana, hot fudge, and strawberry - various combos) and
ultimately settled on Fresh Strawberry

Presentation (Because really, it is ALL about lookin' good) was a burger basket, parchment paper liners and wrappers, and a soda fountain glass for the shake. Really, it was adorable.

The goods at the judges table

There were probably 75 youth at that house all waiting for the results (and for some taste testing) after slaving for 1 hour to prepare. Bishop Wilken did the honors of reading the results and lets just say the Priest/Laurel Team was quite proud of their burger win and overall 1st place. (Homemade burger buns - who could compete with that??) Teachers/Mia Maids took overall 2nd (with 1st place for fries) . And the Beehive/Deacons? Well, they probably had the most strategy yet came in with a 3rd place overall and no category win. Doh! See where all that Trash Talk gets ya? I understand the milkshake category was a draw. I guess the Deacons were pretty bugged and we overheard one of their leaders say "We tasted all the other entrie. Ours was NOT GOOD!" That was funny.

2 comments:

jeannie said...

What a great activity! I am so glad you are a part of the YW program. It really would not surprise me if your next calling is bishop...
Your ward must really love you!

Maddy said...

That's a fun activity, I'll have to pass it along to Dustin for an idea.