Tuesday, January 1, 2008

I finished "The Memory Keeper's Daughter"


I had a friend tell me she read this book in a weekend - couldn't put it down! I really enjoyed this book but had to take it in small doses - when I read I sometimes ignore my world around me (my children, cleaning my house, cooking dinner, etc.) so I kept this book in my purse and read it while waiting for the girls at gymnastics, waiting for Chinese take-out, that sort of thing. Finally, with a week on vacation in Oregon, with a few of those mornings spent waking up to the stormy surf of the Oregon Coast with a mug of cinnamon hot chocolate, I finally finished it. My grandma was watching me read it and asked if there was anything "bad" in it. (Sex, language, that sort of thing.) Not really I told her. It is mostly a story so heart wrenching that you can sympathize with every choice the characters make, whether you would agree with them or not. I found myself identifying with each of the characters in some way, I at times have felt like Nora, straddling two different worlds and social groups not sure which one I fit in to, I found myself identifying with Paul, wanting to disassociate myself from my parents during my teen years (though not too often!!) I found myself knowing I have had my Caroline moments, nurturing and encouraging, and even with David, who, made the difficult choice and kept the secret that sent these 4 people on paths that ultimately defined and scarred them for a lifetime. I found the resolution to be both beautiful however exasperating it was - but it really changed the whole tone of the novel for the last 30 pages or so.

Very well done. I understand it is being made into a movie next year.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Looks like a good book! I will have to read it-I am always looking for recommendations! Thanks!

Jill said...

We read that in our book club...I didn't get around to reading it and missed the discussion night...you have made me want to read it :D. Hope your Christmas was Merry and your New Year is amazing!

Kary Ann Hoopes Photography said...

i wanted you to know i saw that you had this book on your blog, and i have had other friends with it but it was you that convinced me to get it. i just got it and i cant wait to finish my book so that i can start it. i want to read it so my book club will read it too. keep the recommendations coming. i know you will love twilight series. i spend a couple nights till 4 in the morning!!