We Like to call this "Child Labor Law Violation" at its finest.
So we broke out the fire pit Steve got for Christmas. He admits he was skeptical at first - he actually wanted to take it back but I kept explaining that it really was a gift for the whole family to enjoy. So we assembled it and got to work figuring out how to build a fire. You see, for some reason, Steve is never the one asked at a ward campout to get the big bond fire going! He had bought a bundle of wood so we at least had a start. The girls were anxiously waiting so we could do what you do with a backyard fire pit - roast marshmallows and make s'mores! We actually had so much fun, trying to keep the fire going - we eventually did - discussing the finer points of roasting marshmallows. Now I think our back patio is screaming for some real patio furniture but I want furniture INSIDE the house, oh, what to do, what to do...We also had a very lovely, age appropriate discussion, led mostly by Lindsay, about Martin Luther King Jr. and what he did and why we memorialize him this month. She told us what she had learned at school about him - that he made the world a better place by bring white and black people together. So I then decided it was time for some real world application. I asked Lindsay about some of her friends (Lizzie, Zyan, Ron, Nicholas) from school and our neighborhood and if they would have been able to be her friends if we had lived in certain places during segregation. She thought about it and it made her very sad that the play dates she loves and the girls she plays at recess with may not have been her friends 50 years ago. She then remembered how she had learned that some kids didn't get nice new schools or have books in a library or desks that weren't falling apart and she was grateful for MLK Jr. and all he did to lead the fight for civil rights.
So Monday we got to work again on our little yard project. The girls got invited to go and see a movie with a friend so Steve and I were able to work on it. We ended up that day going to two stone yards to find a color of flagstone that was sold by the pound and I liked the color that wasn't sold by the 2 ton pallet. (We ended up buying about 500 lbs .) We found a stone we liked, got it home and realized...we needed something under all this stone...so I went back with two Rubbermaid tubs to buy sand. Steve stayed and got some other work done and sent me, the preggo one, to buy 400 lbs of sand! Always play the pregnancy card - then you get a cute guy at the stone yard to shovel it and load it up for you! (I think Steve had an idea this would happen....that is why he sent me, well, maybe not the cute guy part...) Caroline was funny - as we started to level out the area with the sand, she said "This stuff is just like beach dirt!" Girl needs to get to the beach more often to play in the sand! So, here is our work in progress. We got about 1/2 the stones down before it got dark. It will wait until Saturday to be finished. Crossing our fingers that it works out and looks good!












4 comments:
Your hard work looks like it paid off! That flagstone looks great!
Wow! You guys are ambitious! It looks great! I can't wait to see the final result!
Oh crap! You were just here and we were talking about your blog. Why didn't you mention the fact that I have had 2 of your white back yard chairs at my house for over a year now!!!!!! Next time you come over, you are taking them home with you!!!
Let's figure out a day and do a dinner over here!
Can't wait to see the flagstone path when you are done! We need to come over and have smores!!
Post a Comment