Or, "Fursday Dates" as Caroline calls it! I decided about a year ago that poor Caroline was really suffering from 2nd child syndrome, getting dragged here and there, to errands and appointments and just starring at the back of the headrest in the car and not getting enough quality time alone with Mommy. First children are lucky - moms make time for trips to the library, the zoo, the mall, the park, or just take time to blow bubbles together. Sure, I did these things with Caroline but WAY LESS OFTEN than when Lindsay was the only one.
So, I decided that once a week I was going to be a decent mom to Caroline and the "Thursday Date" was born and we stick to it most weeks. She is in AM preschool Tues/Thurs and we go on our date on Thursday after preschool and before we pick Lindsay up from school. We have fun planning things that will be fun date - dates have included:
*a lunch out that she gets to choose the restaurant
*a trip to the zoo (membership comes in handy)
*library story time (this we need to do more often)
*choose a mall and play and shop
*take a picnic to a park and watch ducks
*visit Daddy at work and have lunch
Today, I was thinking of how special of a time we have together. I was invited to lunch for friend's birthday celebration today (actually invited to two celebratory lunches today - how popular am I?!?) but had already committed to our Thursday Date. I gave Caroline the option of going to the lunch with Mama's friends and she said she would rather go to McDonald's with "just Mama." Not sure if it is the quality alone time with Mommy or the fact that she knew she had a better chance of getting chicken nuggets and french fries at McD's (probably the latter) but I like to think that maybe it is because she likes having alone Mommy time.
Today she had to have a cavity filled. We found out at her dental check up on Monday. I was nervous that it was going to be a big deal so I told her for Thursday Date we would first go to lunch where she wanted (chose McD's) and then go to the dentist and as soon as we were done at the dentist we would go to the Carousel Mall and get a treat and ride the carousel. (Each of the malls around here has a designated nick name by my kids - so much better than remembering it is "Superstition Springs Mall.") She did great at the dentist - we were in and out in 15 minutes, no numbing required and they said she was one of the most cooperative 4 year old patients they have ever had! So, Caroline was excited for 2 "Fursday Dates" in one day, before AND after the dentist.
It is always a lot of fun and I get to spend time doing meaningful/adventurous/fun/educational things with Caroline and feel less guilty about ignoring my kids for a couple of hours per week!
What Gives Kids Confidence?
1 week ago












1 comment:
Fun! I should start doing that with my kids...I think that they would love it!
Post a Comment