Friday, August 15, 2008

11 years ago today...

Portland, Oregon LDS Temple

Steve and I were married 11 years ago, August 15, 1997. We met in September of 1996 the week school was back in session. I had resolved to make this new school year really about school (and not about boys) and was studying on a Saturday afternoon. (I know..if you knew me then, you how really weird that was.) I dozed off on my bed and woke up to a conversation in the living room. I went out there, kinda sleepy to see who was there. My roommate Tasha was perched on a bar stool having a very animated conversation with these two guys sitting on my couch that I had never seen before. Steve and Michael had come to invite my roommate Elasha out for a group date (they were getting together the young adult crowd from their stake in South Carolina) but she was unavailable. So, being the resourceful guys that they were, Steve and Michael asked if we wanted to go instead. A dollar movie (Twister) sounded good for a Saturday night!

We got ready and went to meet them at their apartment. Steve drove us and in true Steve fashion, was all about impressing the ladies and had cleaned his car out and had gone full force with a tree deodorizer, removing all the plastic wrapper - it was quite the pine smelling Buick! We were a little late getting to the movie so, being Provo, Movies 8, cheap weekend entertainment, it was of course packed so we sat in the front row. That was a whole lot up close and personal of tornado action! Well, we then spent a little more time together. Steve came with me and a couple of friends to the Mt. Timpanogos Temple open house and I remember catching Steve's reflection in the mirror in the bride's room and thinking he was quite a handsome guy and I could maybe see myself spending more time with him! We then went out for a first official date a week or so later (he went out with some other girl the night previous...that was the last time THAT happened!) Steve was keeping a journal at the time and wrote, "Met Meredith. The most I have ever liked a girl with short hair!"

The next Sunday we went together to a fireside at UVSC and came back and were sitting on the sofa talking and stuff (hehe) and he leaned in real close and said "You have really beautiful eyes" and tried to kiss me. OK, I let him.

We were officially engaged later in the spring/early summer of 1997 and were married just 2 months later in August. Steve proposed with a goofy bubblegum machine ring - true story - he went to Albertson's with a pocket full of quarters and got the perfect fake ring on the first try! We then went shopping for my real ring which was a lot of fun - who doesn't love shopping for diamonds?
Engagement Portrait Sundance, Utah June 1997

The Happy Couple

Reception at my Grandparent's home. bridesmaids: My sisters Meghan and Molly. Groomsman: Steve's brother Brad and best friend Russ. My wedding colors: Sage Green, Dusty Rose, and Periwinkle. Ahhh......

My family - Meghan, Molly, Me, My mom Sue & my dad Mike - I had to include one with my mom! Sorry, some of these scans are not fantastic because I cannot easily get the photos out of the album so they aren't scanning well.

Bridal Portrait (I LOVE this portrait, by the way.) My gown was Indian silk custom made by a dressmaker in Provo - she was amazing and did everything I wanted. My veil was made by one of my mom's dear friends, Lynna. The flowers? Leftover bridesmaid flowers from Adrienne's wedding which was the same weekend I had my portraits done!

December 2007

What a difference 11 years make. I love you so much Steve. You are my best friend and I have more fun with you than anyone. Thank you for moving beyond 99% sure and deciding 100% that I was the one for you. (I already knew it but I am glad you figured it out too!) Our life isn't always perfect but there is no one I would rather share my life with. Thank you for being my partner in raising our beautiful eternal family. I love you dearly.

13 comments:

sara said...

Congratulations! What fun reading your story. I wonder if we ever crossed paths at Movies 8 :) We were on practically the same schedule as you guys but you beat us by a month (our 11th anniversary is in September). Have a happy day!

Molly said...

Happy Anniversary!

Kathleen said...

did you know it is tommy and amy's today too!! happy anniversary!! cute story of meeting each other. this was kyle's first impression of me in his journal: man she's cute but that girl will not shut up. dead serious.

i love all the pictures! you are so beautiful and your mom is too! congratulations!!

Meredith said...

Yup -I knew it was Tommy and Amy's - I was at their wedding!

Kayleigh said...

Hope you had a wonderful anniversary! I can't believe it has been 11 years. It seems like just yesterday Sam brought you to New Jersey to meet us all. I think that was the famous trip when Kayleigh lost her pacifier right before church started and Bill had to take us to the grocery store to buy another one. When I read that Sam told you that you had beautiful eyes and then reeled you in for a smooch, I just about died laughing!! Tell him he is quite the Cassanova!!:)

Jeannie

Mary-Faith said...

♥Happy Aniversary! I hope you had an awesome day!♥

Mary-Faith

The Evans Family said...

Happy Anniversary! We're getting old aren't we? I always wished we could have made it back for you wedding. I didn't know you used leftover flowers from my wedding! Aren't we lucky to have gotten such good guys?

Katrina said...

I love the pics, and the stories behind them. Congrats to you, not only for longevity that is nearly unheard of, but also for being a powerhouse couple. You rock!

Michelle said...

So fun to see those pictures again! I remember all of the planning you did for your wedding! Happy Anniversary!

Jill said...

What a great story! At Girl's Camp this year, all the girls wanted to know how Bob and I met and it was so fun retelling that story. Isn't it amazing how us women always know before the men!

Brittany said...

It is amazing how quickly time flies!! I remember watching all of this unfold and was very excited for the both of you. CONGRATULATIONS!!

Maddy said...

I can't believe you've been married for 11 years. Can I get a "WOW" cheer. Happy late Anniversary. I wish you guys the best. Now go buy your hubby Rock Band. And get rid of word verification

Myers Mayhem said...

what a great story, I can't believe it's been 11 years! I still remember what i wore to your reception! darcy and steve had the same bubblegum machine ring idea (genious)although it cost darcy $5.00 to get the right one!