Saturday, November 1, 2008

So I come home from picking up the babysitter...

..and hear Kate crying. Lindsay comes running to the door and says "Mommy, Kate was crying so I gave her some applesauce and she really really liked it so we kept giving it to her and now she keeps crying when we stop. So, can I feed her applesauce?"

Ha ha ha! I had to laugh and grab my camera. Apparently my children started my baby on solids. I have been dreading the day I finally broke out the rice cereal and fruits and veggies. I have it already, I was just putting it off for several reasons: 1. It is a mess. 2. It is time consuming 3. Their poops change. Sure, she has had a microscopic teeny tiny bite here and there, a dab of ice cream so we could watch her react to the cold, a french fry to keep her occupied at TGI Friday's. But spoon feeding her in a high chair in the kitchen? Not yet. I DID dig the high chair out of the garage today and cleaned it up so it was ready. I DID set Kate in it tonight while I finished getting ready to pick up the babysitter but I put toys on the tray. It was a new place to sit and be entertained and distracted. But no food yet.

(Can I just say I am so glad they decided to feed her applesauce and not the chili they were eating for dinner...we may have had a Mr. Mom moment..."Are you crazy? You don't feed a baby chili!")

Now that the high chair is up and the big kids have dabbled in feeding her, I don't think there is any turning back. I mean, she will be 6 months old this week. And apparently I have two little feeding helpers.

We watched Ellie this morning while her mom had a stake meeting - she came with us to the soccer games and then we selfishly kept her for the day. They asked for a tea party lunch - they went all out with dishes and stemware and making specialty place mats and coasters, flowers and butterflies for decorations. I made triangle sandwiches, apples with caramel dip, yogurt parfaits, carrots with ranch, and crystal light raspberry lemonade. As I sat with the girls enjoying the tea party, Ellie told me that it was (and I quote) "The best lunch she has ever had!" Thanks Ellie!

Then they played fashion show which turned into Project Runway. I sat on the couch as the audience/announcer/judge and commented on every ensemble as it came down the runway and then called them back for questions from the judge and announced the winner of the round. The above photo was when the theme of the round (each round had a theme for design of costume/outfit) was to dress as one of the others. Caroline was Lindsay. Lindsay was Ellie. Ellie was Caroline. It was so funny - they did a pretty good job too! And then I saw their room. Do you know what happens with repeated rounds of Project Runway? A bedroom knee-deep in clothes and costumes. I kid you not.


7 comments:

Katrina said...

The tea party lunch, I... I have no words! MY KID IS HAVING A LOUSY CHILDHOOD!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! I think I'll go eat dirt...

Mary-Faith said...

It sounds like they had a LOT of fun!

jeannie said...

Oh! I do recall, not so long ago, the baby food dilemma I went through with Cozette. Feeding IS more time consuming and it is a sad day when their diapers change. At least you have two very willing little mama's to help you.

Kate is absolutely adorable sitting in her high-chair. I can't believe how big she is getting.

My theory is that when you have very creative children, a very creative mess is usually near by. Tell those girls of yours I love and miss them!

Kayleigh said...

Kate is SO CUTE!!! I love her hair. She looks like a big girl sitting in her high chair. You'll have to make us lots of tea party lunches at Christmastime because there will be so much good food! HA HA! :)

Myers Mayhem said...

I can't believe Kate is six months! She is too cute and I love how Lindsay and Caroline were feeding her applesauce! where was steve? soooo funny! When I got Ryder out of his carseat after we got home from our ward Halloween party, I noticed he had a sucker in his hand courtesy of Parker! maybe you won't have to feed Kate, just make your kids do it they apparently like to!

Maddy said...

Aww, kate is on solids already :( She's getting so big!

And it looks like Ellie had a BLAST! Way more fun than she would have had over here. I love how she dressed up as Caroline. I had no idea Caroline was a ROCKSTAR!

Molly said...

So cute! I'm impressed that Kate was such a good eater, good job big sisters!

I'm with Katrina on the tea party lunch- my kids will never no such creativity form their mother... Oh well, Aunt Meredith and treat them to a tea party lunch sometime!