...my mom. Today, she would have been 53 years young. We lost her entirely too soon in April of 2005. Lindsay was 3 1/2. She is now 7 and will be baptized in less than 10 months. Caroline was only 16 months old. Now she will be 5 in three weeks and is an adoring big sister to Kate who never knew the snuggle of her Grandma Sue. A woman who wanted nothing more than to be a Grandma, the best grandma, to the world's first perfect grandchildren. (Her words, not mine, because I KNOW they are not perfect! LOL!) For a beautiful tribute written by my sister Molly, read HERE. For last year's tribute to my mom, click HERE.
Oh, how I miss my mom.
*I miss the Grandma she was and the Grandma she would have been. When she passed away she had 3 grandchildren. Number 9 is coming early next year.
*I miss the fact that she never got to experience my girls' soccer games in the blazing sun. She only knew soccer in Oregon where a game wasn't a game unless it was pouring down rain.
*I miss not being able to call her and ask how much salad I REALLY need to buy when the pack at Costco says 1 lb. serves 3.5 people (yeah right) but I need salad for 60 and the budget is limited.
*I miss having her around to do Tuesdays with Molly with us. She would have loved it and hosted our projects (and subsequent messes.)
*I am sad that my mom never got to know the world of blogging. You see, my mom was the information queen. She knew everything, remembered everything, was everyone's "go-to gal" for all sorts of knowledge and she probably would have been writing several blogs to spread her news.
*I miss phone calls telling me Fry's has a manager's special and all chicken breast packs are marked down to $1.39/lb. for one day only
*I think my mom would have been Twilight obsessed and would have been so proud of her niece, Kaili, who is an agent representing the actor who plays Sam.
*I know she totally would have been into Facebook because everyone was her friend. And, she would have kept up with everyone in her friends list too.
I could go on and on about how much I miss my mom but really, I am grateful for all the things I learned from my mom and people often comment that I am truly her daughter. I guess a lot of people would be scared to cook 60-70 chicken breasts for a church dinner. Not me. My mom taught me how to cook for the masses. I have the gift of gab, good or bad. I can strike up a conversation with anyone, anywhere, and it as if we are old friends. Ask Steve. It makes him nuts how I can chat it up with perfect strangers. My mom never really withheld junk food or treats. I try to follow in my mom's footsteps that way. Kate has had her fair share of ice cream and french fries and cheesecake! (Hey - my kids ask for apples and veggies so allowing some junk in their lives isn't all bad.) Some of my most frequent memories are of my mom on the phone and before cordless phones, we had the longest telephone cords you have ever seen. We had to climb under and over them all the time because my mom took the phone everywhere. Now, I don't like answering my home phone too much but always have my cell on me so call or txt me anytime. My mom was always volunteering or involved in some sort of community organization for something and my sisters and I have all followed suit. Whether church or PTO or dance or team mom or whatever, we are all giving somewhere else, usually letting something else go at home to do so. My mom was not a perfect housekeeper and I have seemed to inherit that quality. Sure, it makes me nuts when I am behind but if it means I was spending time with my kids doing something other than cleaning (or just plain old getting behind) it is OK and life goes on.
Anyway, today Caroline and I were going through a scrapbook looking for pictures of my mom. They are few and far between. Note to all moms out there - step out from behind the camera and get some pictures with YOU in it so your kids know what you looked like at their soccer games or hanging out in the summer or whatever. I do not have enough photos of my mom. But, here are a few: (Thank you Creative Memories for teaching my mom to crop all the photos really weird shapes and put stickers over the pictures when she made my scrapbooks but I am so grateful to have them and not a box full of memories stuck in a closet.)
I hope that I can be the kind of mom to make my mom proud and continue her legacy.
We love you.
We love you.












10 comments:
Beautiful post about your mom. I'm still sorry about missing her funeral - but I was in the ER!
And, FINALLY, some childhood photos of you so I can laugh at you just like you've been laughing at all my personal history entries!
Caroline looks so much like Lindsay in that last photo. And Kate looks so much like you in the first one. I never really notice how much people's kids look like them until I see photos at about the same ages.
I am missing her too today ~ Thank you for such a beautiful tribute to her, and thank you for including me in it.
Thinking she is looking down proudly on me, makes me smile. She is always in my heart.
Kai
Great post... I love the memory of the phone cord, mand I remember those things, the cordless phone was made for her! I lvoe the last picture of her with Lindsay... Even though Mom didn;t look so good toward the end, I cherish every picture I have of her. Love her!
Meredith-
Your Mom is more than pleased with your goodness as a mother. I hope you have had a special day celebrating and remembering her wonderful life. Heaven does not seem so far away when we think of our loved ones who are there.
I have to say that I particularly enjoyed the pictures of your youth. I especially like the Dorothy Hammel hairstyle you are sporting!
Meredith, I really enjoyed your words and pictures. I like getting to know your mom. You know, maybe Kate has had a chance to cuddle with your mom. I bet they had a chance be together before Kate came to earth. I don't know this, but I hope it. My mother-in-law has a tile in her home that reads "One of the best ways to have a little bit of heaven in your home is to have someone you love in heaven." So true.
Some how my mom loved me even though I looked so ridiculously awkward my entire childhood. Thanks everyone for pointing out how cool I was! I was looking for pictures of my mom and it was very hard - these aren't the 10 best, they were the ONLY 10 I could find.
i think you looked pretty cute!! i can definitely see where kate gets the hair! the last picture of lindsay with your mom made me cry! she was so beautiful. i love the phone story and the gift of gab! you guys are too cute. your mom would be so proud of you and your beautiful children.
This is really great. I love the pictures, and your mom. A lot of my most fun memories from my childhood are from visits to your family's house.
Because I never met your mom, but still have a good sense of what she is like, I have a hard time thinking of her as gone.
I think she's there with you all the time. I'm pretty sure that there is nothing on the other side more important to her than her posterity. Either she left an indelible loving handprint all over your soul, or she truly does drift in and around your life. I think she is mostly sad when you miss her... because it seems like it is the only thing that she couldn't fix.
My favorite photo is of her putting her head on yours. It just speaks volumes about the two of you. :D No doubt about it - you are loved by your mama!
P.S. How funny that my word verification is: affati. I have a fatty!
You and Molly both did "fabulous" tributes to your mom. I loved seeing your pictures, they brought back memories of my own. You are a lot like your mom and that's a wonderful thing!
Post a Comment