I decided we would make some fun and funky skirts and would add a little embellishment with yo-yo's - an old quilting decorative technique that is making a comeback in crafting.
The girls and I talked about why it is important to learn how to sew and why we need these skills and how pioneers made their own clothes and often their own fabrics and had to fix their torn clothes because they couldn't just go to Target and buy new ones!
I got yo-yo template makers for each girl and we learned how to thread a needle, sew in and out thru the template, and sew on a button as the finishing touch. I LOVE their looks of concentration!Oh, how cute!
I did the cutting and measuring. That lesson will come later! I kind of made up the pattern as we went along. (This would come back to haunt me as I had to re-make the tops of the skirts because they were too big but that is OK because in the end the pattern I created was perfect.)
First, we practiced sewing a straight line on paper with a piece of duct tape as our easy to see guide. Then they graduated to side seams of their skirt.THE NEXT DAY...
We even got Caroline and our neighbor Dylan in on the action! He came over to play and we told him we were making yo-yo's and he was welcome to join us! (I am going to assume he thought we were making something different.) Dylan's dad called to check up on him and I literally think I heard his jaw hit the floor when I told him that Dylan was hanging out with us...sewing! Dylan ended up making 5 yo-yo's that day - one for himself, his mom, his dad, and one for each of his dogs!It has been a while since I have sewn for my kids. Well, I did make Kate's blessing gown, but it has been a while for the big girls. I was again bitten by the sewing bug and am going to start whipping out these triple tiered ruffle skirts. They are so darling and fun and feminine yet can be funky enough for my spunky Caroline. Oh, I can't wait! I am so thrilled that my girls want to learn about sewing and are interested in it - it is a dying skill and I am happy to keep it alive in our home. There are so many fun projects we can do together.












13 comments:
That looks fun!!!
can i come over for sewing day?
too cute!
Those skirts are just fabulous! I love them.
I really enjoyed looking at the expression on Lindsay's face while she was concentrating. What a wonderful activity to have with your girls.
Can we have sewing camp at Christmastime?
Meredith! This is FABULOUS! Those skirts are so cute, and I am so proud of those darling girls for working so hard. What a wonderful thing to teach and learn. (I am happy to say that I took some sewing classes this past summer, and finally--at age 31--I know a few basics . . . better late than never, I guess!) What a fun camp! You should teach Kayleigh. :)
Great skirts! Does that store have any Sandi Henderson fabric? (I was going to buy some online because I couldn't find any local.) Ainsley LOVES sewing, so I am having to learn.
great outfit. You are so talented!
Those skirts are so cute. I wish I had a sewing machine. What can I bribe you with to make them for my girls. Or pay, you what ever. I even want one for me. I love the looks on the girls faces. Priceless.
Wow!! Can you teach me too! You are amazing-I have NO skills in that area at all! So cute!
The skirts are darling! Can I get the pattern?? =-) Emma would love to make one.
Those are so cute! I totally want one for myself, they look so comfy. Glad the girls had fun. I'm not sure what happened to Hayden's yo yo, hmm...
Adorable, will you teach me how to sew?
Aunt Mer....Those skirts made my eyes pop out of my head!! They are ADORABLE!! I love it. Sounds so fun! (:
Grrrrr -- I thought I had commented. Knowing me, i probably messed up the word verification thingie and didn't pay attention. I HATE THEM! Get rid of it :D
Ellie had such a great time. Thank you so much for having her. She is totally into wearing her skirt whenever possible. Love the yo yo's. Of course now I have to buy a needle and thread. OH MY! ;p
My mom looked at the post and started crying because she is so happy Ellie and Lindsay are such good friends and that we still do stuff together like our moms.
Love ya!
PS I'm pick up this week, so I'll get to see you a lot :D
Post a Comment