Thursday, October 16, 2008

"Now do you understand...

...why mommy keeps telling you to stop putting stuff in your mouth?" I said to Lindsay as we cuddled on the couch late last night.

I was curled up on the couch enjoying some quiet alone time with the TV when all of the sudden I heard screams coming from the girl's room (who had gone to bed 45 minutes earlier) and then Lindsay came running out of her room. She was screaming and shrieking "Oh no!!! Owww!!! I can't get it! Ouch! Aaaaaaa!!!" I couldn't get her to calm down enough to tell me what was wrong and it was dark and I couldn't see. I finally calmed her down and she was sort of able to talk. "I was in bed and some how I accidentally got this button in my mouth and now it is stuck!" I turned on the light and saw a silver thing about the size of a nickel and it was stuck under her tongue. What the heck? (I have load of buttons that I bought in bulk by the pound. We use them for crafts and projects and there are occasional weird snaps and button parts mixed in the assortment of fun and colorful random buttons.) Lindsay decided this piece of a button that is used to make fabric covered buttons belonged in her mouth - it is the piece that has all the sharp metal teeth that grip the fabric! She had managed to get 3 or so of these little teeth fish-hooked into the underside her tongue. It was the weirdest sadest thing! She screamed and kept scrunching up her tongue as I attempted to un-hook this button from the underside of her tongue. I finally got it. I gave her a soothing popsicle and she cuddled on the couch with me and watched Project Runway. The end.

Aack! Can you imagine this thing hooked into your tougue? Molly asked if I took a picture. A good blogging mom would have taken a picture of the button while still stuck in her mouth. I didn't. But here is the offending button.

Edited to add: My Uncle Joe sent me the following in an email:
"Mer, maybe you can remind her of this 10 years from now when she wants to get her tongue pierced.
" That's our Uncle Joe!

8 comments:

Quincy Sorensen said...

Bless her little heart! (and tongue!) A popsicle and a little cuddle time with Mom can do wonders.

jeannie said...

Goodness gracious! It could have been much worse. I am glad a popsicle and cuddling made things better instead of a trip to the ER!

Danika said...

I'm glad to hear it's not just my kids who STILL put weird stuff in their mouths! Glad she's okay.

Meghan, Carson and the Kiddos said...

So that stage never really stops until tweendom, huh? It reminds of when Siobhan stuck a seed up her nose this summer. It was a little funny, but sad at the same time. I'm sure PR made everything better.

Sims Family said...

Ouch! I was cringing just reading that! Poor thing!

Molly said...

Yah, that must have hurt! My kids don't really put things in their mouths. Although a few months ago Hayden swallowed a penny, I assume it passed... Maybe this will teach Lindsay a lesson!

Mary-Faith said...

Oww! I'm glad she's better now!

The Evans Family said...

That must of hurt! Poor Lindsey. I liked the Uncle Joe comment!