Edited to add some basic instructions for those who asked!!
If anyone wants the instructions - go buy a box of Sure Jell Pectin (less sugar pink box, that is what I use) at the grocery store - the instructions are contained therein! You can buy it in bulk but I never have because I don't think I make enough to warrant it.
4 c crushed berries
1 pkg sure-jell pectin
3 c sugar
1 c water
Follow the instructions, this will yield about 6-7 cups of jam.
I was able to get a good deal on a couple flats of strawberries through a produce co-op I often order from for daily use fruits and veggies, Bountiful Baskets. Anyway, it has been a while since I stocked up on our supply of freezer jam so I went for it. I dabble here and there in maintaining my good old fashioned home keeping skills up to date, (see previous post Homemade Applesauce. ) Freezer jam is actually pretty easy and yields a fair amount of jam. It is not at all cost effective compared to buying off the shelf or Costco or whatever, but nothing beats the taste! That alone is worth it. I did about 14 lbs and ended up with about 26 pints or so. OK, I say it is easy, but a lot harder when (see side bar ticker) you are 35 weeks pregnant! I could not figure out a comfortable way to work at the sink to wash, remove stems, and chunk up the fruit without my big ol' baby belly in the way! I called to Steve to come and help me figure out a more ergonomic way to accomplish the task. I ended up almost sitting side-saddle on a bar stool with the berry packs stacked 4 high and the bowl for cut up fruit stacked on top of another Tupperware bin! It worked and I finally made it through. it was worth it - my kids and especially my husband love it. We have been without for a while and pretty much anything else pales in comparison. I got thru most of the berries on Monday night (until I ran out of Sure-Jell) and finished up tonight. I ended up mixing some blueberries into a couple batches! Yum-o!
What Gives Kids Confidence?
1 week ago













6 comments:
Sounds yummy. I just planted some strawberry plants in my garden, so if I get any fruit, I'll have to find out how to make this freezer jam.
Yummmy!!! I know it's easy, but I've never done it before and want to learn to make freezer jam myself! Love it! You are such an inspiration when it comes to working hard no matter what!
Can you email the process for making freezer jam? I want it all the time and since I don't know how to make it, I never have it. It reminds me of mom. Check our blog late tonight or in the morning, there will be some new posts. I promise.
There is NOTHING better than strawberry freezer jam. YUMM-O! Maddie will NOT eat any other kind...spoiled by the good stuff!
I love making freezer jam. Good for you. There is nothing better than it.
Yummy! I love homemade jam! I just wish I knew how to make it-I guess I should give it a try sometime!
Post a Comment