"Wow! You really are BIG!" Right after the paint contractor waiting in line behind me said "Man, any day now, right?" I looked at both of them , actually glared back and forth, and, having assessed that the contractor looked like he had a decent sense of humor and the old guy cashier had an east coast accent and I had already heard him speak with an east coast attitude, I said to both of them, "Don't you EVER tell a pregnant woman she is BIG! And YOU, (to the old man from the east coast with the thick accent and attitude) are SHORT and OLD!" We all had a good laugh. But it felt good to say it! He had to bring a manager over to finish my return and he told the manager "She called me OLD!" And I said "He started it. HE said I was BIG!" It was a funny exchange for everyone.
That's all. Oh, except that they couldn't process my return (extra unopened primer from painting over the red family room) because it had been run on Steve's card, not mine!! Grrr..........Just one more "to do" NOT checked off my list!!
What Gives Kids Confidence?
1 week ago












7 comments:
Good for you for saying something!! It is amazing what people think it is OK to say. Maybe they will think twice the next time.
Right on!!! That's hysterical! Good for you...
I got comments like that all the time because I carried my babies completely in front.
Go Meredith! That is too funny. I'm glad you said something back though...all in good humor.:)
Okay, so what exactly are you insinuating here about East coast accents and attitudes? :-)
Ha ha! I love what people say when you're pg!
Indeed, I add my cheers to yours. People say THE stupidest things! I am in an Alsace/Lorain area of pregnancy where I am getting both kinds of comments, myself: "Wow! You showed up to church!" Yes, amazing. I know I am supposed to hide my hideous self, but I thought that the official Harry Potter time-turner necklace would distract you from my middle - see you next week sister . . ."
Or my chiropractor who said, "Aw, it's not that bad - you're almost done!" To which I replied, "DON'T you EVER say that to your WIFE! How would you like it if I shoved bamboo shoots up your fingernails and then told you that it wasn't so bad since YOU only had a month to go!" Yah, he backed off. Probably more than a little concerned that I had bamboo shoots in my purse.
See now, I give you props for being able to say something! I would just sit there politely laughing along "haha, yup sure am!" when I really want to bust out with "at least I have a reason for my belly!!,,,,". But I never will. I'll live vicariously through you :)
Post a Comment