So, here is a picture of me to liven things up a bit. I sort of have this habit of going to games with my in laws and enjoying the games so much (baseball, football, it doesn't matter) that I either read the game program cover to cover or, like this time, remember to bring a book! (It was Memoirs of a Geisha.)
So the Tag.... 6 Little Known Facts About Me!!!
2. My favorite Fast Food vice: A Toaster Ham and Cheese Breakfast sandwich with a Hot Fudge Milkshake from Sonic. Oh my gosh, it could kill you, which is why I don't get it very often, literally maybe once or twice a year.
3. I love a good bargain and clearance sales but I occasionally splurge on something full price without feeling guilty. For instance, I needed something to wear for our Christmas pictures in December. We have done so many casual family portraits; this one we are dressing up. I had spent several afternoons while running errands going to Ross, Marshall's, Kohl's, Target, and Mervyns to find something cheap that I can wear and not look too much like I am pregnant and would be universally flattering and cost hardly anything. I had found nothing so I finally went to Ann Taylor and found the PERFECT deep red silk top. It was not on sale. AND I bought jewelry too! Ha!!!
4. I went to a boarding school in upstate New York for a month of my senior year. For some reason, my public high school was part of an organization of mostly private schools (about 30 or so in the country) that offered specialized short intern programs for high school seniors. Our school had an internship in Forestry and Wildlife Management. Next to no one took advantage of the program but I did. I applied to 3 schools and ended up going to The Emma Willard School in Troy NY. They are located right outside Albany, NY and their specialty program was an internship in the State Legislature. I worked in the office of Assemblyman Tucci from Brookline, NY. I pulled and sorted files, went to the assembly floor to have him sign documents, went on errands to the copy center and library. I actually found out that Kurt Cobain had died while working on a project on LexisNexis - a kind of pre-cursor to the internet that provided AP news bulletins and access to business and legal documents. I went down to NYC (well, outside) and stayed with a friend at her college for a weekend. It was a liberal arts college with a very liberal social agenda. Boy, did I learn a lot! :) We went into the city on the train and I saw Joseph, rode the Staten Island Ferry, went to the World Trade Center, stuff like that. All in one day.
5. I grew up Figure Skating. I started when I was 8 years old. Not early enough to become an Olympian, but, I did train a couple times a week with a private coach, competed locally (I placed 3rd in my first competition (out of 3...but it was a very close 3rd!) I really enjoyed it - my parents were not uber wealthy (which you need to be to truly excel...or have a sponsor!) so us 3 girls were mostly in it for casual competition and the personal growth experience. Finally, when I was about 14 or so, we as a family decided to walk away from skating. It was so weird - it had really defined us for so long but the world kept turning and the sun would rise and set even though we quit.
6. I got in a car crash while skipping school and ended up talking to my DAD at 911!!! My high school had a closed campus so we really weren't supposed to leave. But, my boyfriend Eric was downtown working at Kinko's and he was really sick...so I wanted to be a good little girlfriend and take him some orange juice and a muffin. So, I left. I was a senior and kind of over high school anyway. I was in Portland down near the old Civic Stadium and I needed to turn left, a yield left turn. So, I waited until I thought it was clear and obviously didn't see the "oldsmolbuick" coming up over the crest of the little hill and I hit its front left bumper/fender/light with my left bumper/fender/light. Crap. It crunched the light and fender of my car. It did next to nothing to the tank I hit!! At least I didn't wreck his car. So, I went across the street to the Mercedes dealer to try to figure out who to call. They didn't know the non-emergency number so we just called 911. I wasn't even thinking where the call would go or that I was IN the city and county my dad worked for and not where I should be!! So, I get on the phone, start telling the operator what happened, my name, where we were, etc. and kind of kept mumbling all upset that my dad who is a 911 guy was going to kill me for skipping school and getting in a wreck. He asked me who my dad was and I told him. He said "Oh. You're "Mac's" daughter. I will get him on the line with us." Sure - of course I called where my dad was...and I totally wanted to talk to him right now. NOT. Bottom line, my car was still drivable and I waited for him to come and escort me home where I sat in the living room with my parents having one of those "We are so disappointed with you" discussions and if I wanted the car fixed, I would get to pay for it. Some how the car never got fixed!!












10 comments:
It's about time!!! I tagged you back in November...
And I am so jealous - I always wanted to do figure skating! But somehow it never lended itself well to warm, sunny California!
I had forgotten about you spending time in NY...and the accident. We had a good laugh over that one. I love Ham and Cheese toasters....YUM!
So fun to reminisce! Don't you hate that you can't watch t.v. in bed if your husband's trying to sleep...we have that same issue...i'm not as nice as you and sometimes still fight it...i find myself on the couch often too!
Thanks for sharing those fun little details about your life! It's so fun to learn little things about people. You and my mom seem to have falling asleep on the couch in common. I have come into my mom sleeping on the couch I swear more than I have seen her fall asleep in your own bed. Loved hearing about your school skipping days!
I remember the 9-1-1 story, but the other stuff I didn't know about you. I must confess that I often fall asleep on the couch (even now that I am not pregnant--I did it more then). In fact, I just fell asleep on the couch last night. Jim and the kids were asleep and I stayed up to clean up the house, sort mail, etc. (and of course watch my stored up DVR Law and Orders) since it is my only quiet time.
Ha ha! I love the last one.
I am a cosympathetic sports fan. I think we are sympatico on this subject. I never thought about bringing a book! Awesome. Matthew loves sports games, but I just can't help but think, "If you like it so much, why not go DO it, instead of watching someone else do it?"
In the case of ice skating however, if you can't do, then definitely enjoy watching someone else who doesn't have to cling to the rink edge or attempt to glide 4 feet forward. So I am all about watching ice skating, and ballroom dancing. I don't even need a book!
Maybe next time, eh Ice Princess?
So now the truth is out. I thought I was secretly spying on my nieces through their blogs, but I guess I've been discovered! Please keep it up. I love reading about what you all are up to. :-)
Great stories! That was so fun to read.
Hey Meredith, it's Misty, Molly's friend from BYU. I love the tag you got. When the kids are in bed, all I want to do with my precious quite time is sit and stare at nothing which eventually leads to sleeping. So, I can understand sleeping on the couch. On Twilight, I got it for Christmas, not really knowing much about it and now I have read it, plus the two sequels, Stephenie Meyer's whole website, and am counting down to the next book August 2. I never saw it coming. The characters have invaded my head and it's crazy. My hubby thinks I am obsessed and I cannot deny it. On my blog, the first 10 songs are the songs Meyer's chose as her "playlist" for Twilight. Anyways shoot me an email and I'll invite you to our blog. clemstock@gmail.com
Post a Comment