Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Caroline cracks us up....

She has a way with the English language that is beyond her years. Sometimes the things that come out of her mouth are surprising but make us laugh because it sounds so funny coming from a 4 year old. Phrases like "as a matter of fact" come to mind.

Anyway, last night as we were putting her to bed, she started singing unintelligibly in a high falsetto voice. She said "Mommy, do you know what that is? That is 'singing like a WOMAN!" And she kept on going and going. We couldn't stop laughing. It was the funniest thing I had heard all day. (But that isn't saying too much considering I spent the day in a Juror Pool waiting to find out if I would get used or sent home...)

Edited to add Jury Duty info...since Maddy asked. It was thrilling. Not. I did my public duty, showed up to the Superior Court Downtown Phoenix at 10:15 am like instructed. They called out names 45 or so at a time to be escorted with a bailiff to a specific court. The room was HOT, it was like packed airplane terminals with a bunch of canceled flights. At 11:26 they made an announcement that we could all go to lunch until 1pm. For real? What was I going to do for an hour and a half? Have you BEEN to downtown Phoenix? Well, I had been making small talk with a woman from Gilbert so we went to a deli together. We were back well before 1pm and didn't get any new announcements from the clerks until 1:30. They called a couple more groups of 45, my Gilbert friend being one of them called, and then, at about 2:45 they announced the rest of us (Most who came that day, by the way) would not be needed and they would call us one at a time to get dismissed and check out to receive our "Proof of Service" papers. Funny thing, on the shuttle ride from the court to the parking garage - the driver of the shuttle said that all while growing up, children are anxious to get picked for the kick ball teams, audition for dance companies, try out for baseball teams, etc. and they are so devastated if not chosen. He said that with Jury Service, the tide changes - every day he sees adults so elated to NOT get chosen! I would agree with that.

7 comments:

Kary Ann Hoopes Photography said...

kids say the funniest things. i love your painted walls too. you crack me up!

Meghan, Carson and the Kiddos said...

that's hilarious! It's kind of like when Siobhan started saying 'Make it Work' ala Tim Gunn. Have you checked my bog? Three new posts!

Maddy said...

Caroline is so funny!

And did you get sent home? I'm guessing so?

Rebecca said...

Love ever minute of that! Kids say the funniest things. I used to watch the show "Kids say the darndest things" with Bill Cosby. I loved that show!! Wish it was still on :(! Oh well I have my own kids to fill in for that now!

I don't know if I ever told you this about Jocelyn, but once when the kids were singing in Sacrament meeting (I think it was Fathers Day, because I had to go up and help her) and Jocelyn had to sqeeze in next to Caroline just barely onto the stage. Well I noticed Caroline was kind of fidgety and bumped into Jocelyn a few times (all innocent of coarse). Afterwards Jocelyn says "Wow! Caroline... " (I'm thinking in my adult mind she's going to say "Wow Caroline was bumpin' into me alot)..but her being the sweet thing she is she says "Wow! Caroline did really good singin' Mom!". Just goes to show how much we can learn from our kids and how much more Christ-like they are than us!

Katrina said...

Being picked reminds me of one of my favorite lines from "Chicken Little," when they're playing Dodgeball:

"Okay, separate into two teams, Popular vs. Unpopular!"

Glad you got to wander the down town area. At least it wasn't hot!

Corbett Family said...

Okay, I have to add my attorney comment here that we need good people on juries, so I'm glad you went there and endured, even though you didn't get picked. I also have to add that the choices of places to eat near the federal and state courthouses in downtown Phoenix are NOT great. I was in trial in federal court for 2 weeks last fall and we basically had to eat at Crazy Jim's every day (not that I don't like Crazy Jim's but when you are five months pregnant and sleep deprived it is nice to get some variety in your diet). By the way, we had some great people on our jury in federal court who I'm sure were not thrilled to be there, but we were glad they were!

Danika said...

Someday I'll have to tell you my "being SELECTED for GRAND JURY duty" story! Oh, and don't forget about the other 2 times I've had REGULAR jury duty (never selected). I think I'm on the "frequent juror" list or something...