Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Mini Face-Lift in Progress...

We have this amazing friend/neighbor, (I will call him Uncle Glen) and he will be a friend for life I know it! He is our "Go-To" guy when we have a home improvement question or problem and we are stuck. He has replaced my garbage disposal, helped us assemble the swing set, stuff like that. He is always impressed that I "know stuff" and am not just a "dumb girl" (his words) that I know things like what a locking nut is, a key-hole opening, HP of a garbage disposal, etc. But every time he drove by our house, he told me how terrible the front of my house looked because it is in serious need of a paint job! I know!!! Tell me something I don't know!! We would tell him we were just working out spending $1500 to have it painted - we had 3 bids last year. Our house faces South and the sun really does a number on it over 8 years. It really is awful. He, being the contractor jack of all trades, is a paint contractor (I didn't know this) in addition to everything else he does - commercial custom welding contractor, building airplane hangers, etc. He offered to paint our house for the cost of paint in exchange for what I already always do anyway - keeping him well fed on special treats like homemade bread, cheesecake, dinners, etc. So, he taped yesterday and I bought a few new fixtures for the exterior - new coach lights, new lock and handle set, etc. I am SO anxious to unload the ugly 1999 builder tract home brass handles and half-round desert ugly concrete light fixtures.

Here we are so far....a before picture of our plain jane home with taped windows and all...hopefully the new jewelry will help!
We (and by that I mean me) have chosen a dark almost black finish for the exterior fixtures - an antique iron and oil rubbed bronze look. I think it will be a huge improvement. We are saving so much on the paint job I am glad we can make these improvements too!! Yea!!!!

5 comments:

Maddy said...

I can't wait to see the update. Ad thanks for reminding me that I still need to make treats for my home improvement neighbor. AUGH!

Kary Ann Hoopes Photography said...

i love the fixtures. cant wait to see the finished product

Corbett Family said...

Looks cool, I think a paint job and new fixtures can improve curb appeal exponentially. We repainted the outside of our house in Arizona just before we put it on the market and I was mad that we couldn't enjoy the new paint (should have done it sooner). So, I'm glad you are able to get it done.

Michelle said...

How exciting! I like what you have picked out! The picture of you house looks good to me though already! Good luck! I can't wait to see it finished!

Rebecca said...

Those fixtures are beautiful! How blessed you are to have such a handy man next door to you! I don't know anyone who doesn't need an "Uncle Glen" next door. I am so excited for you guys! You are a power house getting all this stuff done while pregnant! Take it easy on yourself..you are in a fragile state you know!