Friday, February 13, 2009

Spreading the love...

We love the Valentine season, not necessarily for the romantic pressures to do something amazing as a couple/for each other but more for the chance to show people we care about that we love them lots! Once we made Valentine's Day about family lovin' and a little bit of service, it really took the romantical pressure off - phew!

Monday for FHE we made THE BEST sugar cookies. I love this recipe. You can't go wrong. Anyway, we rolled, waited while they baked and cooled, iced, and delivered a plate to our next door neighbors. They are very sweet people who don't have any kids or family close and struggle with health issues and we are trying to be better friends and neighbors.

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies
1 c. butter
1 c. sour cream
1/2 t. salt
2 eggs
1 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla
2 T. baking powder
1 1/2 c. sugar
5 c. flour

Cream butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla. Add sifted dry ingredients, blend and add sour cream last. Divide dough in two and flatten into disks, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for a couple of hours. Roll out on a floured surface and cut with cookie cutters. Avoid over working the dough. Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes depending on the thickness you make the cookies. Better underdone than overdone, of course! This is a very soft, fluffy sugar cookie. Make a homemade butter cream and, well, heaven.

Class Valentines...always a dilemma. Do we buy a cheap box of character cards that the kids love and make it easy? A candy that has room to write to your love? Make something fun? I always lean towards making something fun even if it means more work and mess. Well, we found the coolest idea in our new Ranger Rick magazine for a pink pipe cleaner and pink cardstock heart flamingo. It was darling but too expensive to implement for the entire class - I couldn't find packs of plain pink "chenille sticks" as they are called these days. I would have to buy gobs of packs of multi color and that was not happening. We had talked about another idea after I read on Design Mom that one of her children made bookmarks. I thought it was a super good fit for the kiddos this year because Lindsay's teacher is right now pushing chapter books for the kids that have not quite made that transition yet. So, I had stacks and stacks of Valentine hued scraps leftover from this project and so we went to work.

Lindsay's bookmarks. So cute. She had a lot of fun creating color combos.

Caroline's preschool bookmarks. She tailored them to each child!

I had stacks of brown bookmark sized scraps (leftover from our 2005 Christmas card!) and we designed a plan with all the scraps. Lindsay decided that we should not make the boys pink and red (duh) so we went blue/brown/green theme. The girls were definitely girly - pink, brown, red. And not to be left out, Caroline made her own bookmarks for the preschool kiddos. She had a lot of fun doing the big kid project! We printed a little label that says "I to read" that went on each bookmark. They signed the back and we glued a Dove chocolate heart to the back.

Sick Baby Kate Monday night...watching the cookie making

Baby Kate has had a rough week! She started a fever Saturday night and I fully expected a couple days to run its course so I wasn't too concerned. Finally Tuesday, when she was vomiting, slept all day for 7 hours without waking and when I woke her she had a fever of nearly 105 and was listless, we went to urgent care. Turns out the high fever and all the trimmings were a Kidney infection. Who'd a thunk? So, now she is on antibiotics and had a follow-up today. Looks like this could be an indication of something a bit bigger, like possibly Urinary Reflux, so we have another follow-up in a week and we will be going for some tests - a kidney ultrasound and a dye test to check out her plumbing. But, she is on the mend...

Friday after school Caroline sharing her Valentine's loot with Kate!


Not to be left out, Mommy made some Valentine's for a couple of special people, like the sisters I visit teach and a friend who has a Valentine birthday. I made my favorite cupcakes and attempted my own version of fancy cupcakes, a la the cupcake craze that has swept our nation! Love this recipe: Darn Good Chocolate Cake (a triple chocolate cake that I like to make as cupcakes - yields about 3 dozen, this time I made two doz. and a heart shape cake for our family dinner tomorrow.) Iced it with pale pink butter cream/cream cheese frosting and just a dash of sprinkles. I found these darling silver boxes at Dollar Tree that fits two cupcakes nicely. Tie with a pretty ribbon and tag...so sweet!

Anyway, we have plans for tomorrow and the weekend - a whole lotta family fun!

I C A N N O T wait!!

12 comments:

Danika said...

Looks like my mother-in-law's sugar cookie recipe (well, not HERS, but the one she uses). Very yummy.

Great idea with the bookmarks (I saw it on Sara's blog too).

Sorry to hear about Kate. Glad that she is on the mend. Hope that nothing is wrong, or they can figure it out & fix it if there is.

sara said...

I will have to try that recipe. I hope Kate's okay! When Zoe was a few months old she was diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux (VUR) and we had to go to Phx Children's for contrast dye x-rays & stuff; they said it was 50/50 that she'd need surgery but after a few months it had corrected itself; phew! I am so glad for modern medicine...

Have a great weekend!

The Evans Family said...

Fun Valentine activities! That chocolate cake is called Lee's Birthday Cake in our family--yummy! Love the bookmarks, it was store bought valentine's at our house this year. I am glad that Kate is on the mend, I hope it all works out!

Sims Family said...

Cute stuff!

I am a product of urinary reflux! Had surgery and everything. I was on antibiotics from age 1 to 10. It's so simple these days, Little incision, out patient. When I was a kid I had major surgery, have a HUGE scar and was in the hospital for a week. It's majorly heriditary. Good luck to my kids!

I hope she feels better soon!

Molly said...

Fun times! The bookmarks were a great idea. I was glad to be a resipient of the wonderful cupckaes, yum! Thanks.

Mary-Faith said...

Great idea with the bookmarks! And the yummy cupcakes...mmmm!

jeannie said...

If I lived there, I would gladly let you spread the love to me. The cupcakes look delicious. Hope you are having a wonderful day with your Valentines.

Quincy Sorensen said...

I was sad to learn of Baby Kate's kidney infection but so glad she is on the mend. You are a fount of creative and fun craft/baking ideas. I like my sugar cookie recipe but will happily try out another! :) Miss you, Meredith!

Elise said...

What cute little ladies you have! Thanks for the sugar cookie recipe I was seriously just thinking how I wanted to make some! Yummy! Hope little Kate feels better soon!

Maddy said...

Your frosting looks superb! How on earth did you get it to look that gorgeous??

Clemstock said...

The cupcakes look so delicious. I am going to try to chocolate cake recipe. I think my favorite part of V-day is making things for other people too. We busted out some cookies and valentines with the girls and they loved every moment of it.

Kathleen said...

HOW did you do the frosting like that?

poor baby kate!! i'll be thinking about her!