Today, I spent $11 and had my good Ginger scissors and my two good Henkels knives sharpened. (Scissor $5, knives $3 each.) Sven comes to JoAnn's once a month and sets up a booth and sharpens everything back to their original glory and chastises you for putting your knives in the dishwasher. He also has a sign up that he is looking for a wifey. Hmmmm.... Why do I not to this more often, or for the record, EVER? Knives are meant to be sharp and are not meant to de disposable - good knives cost good money and it is way cheaper to sharpen than buy a new one. As they say, they not only work better but a sharp knife is a safe knife. They weren't in too bad of shape - I have tried to use some pretty dull knives in my time and these were not that but still were getting harder and harder to use effectively. As I ran my knife thru a stack of scallions tonight while making dinner and found it to be a delightful task and not a fight to get all the way thru the onions in one pass, I was very thankful for a sharp knife.Edited to add after being treated to the below Elean (Alien) Show:
I had the following thoughts...
-I think the next time Sven is at our JoAnn's is March 20th.
-That is SO not my knife. It is one I found on google images, to be exact. Wish I had a nice butcher block to julienne fennel or whatever that is.
-Even a cruddy knife is worth sharpening, I think, for $3 bucks!












8 comments:
That IS a good idea, and also something I have never done. I have just a few really good knives in my collection (including one Henkel that we got as a wedding present and really wanted to return since it could fetch us $80... thankfully we couldn't find a store that carried that exact knife and we were stuck with it but I love it... had no appreciation for knives as a newlywed) and I know they could benefit from a good sharpening. Same goes for my kitchen shears and sewing scissors; anyway thanks for the tip!
We desperately need ours sharpened. Is it a set time/day or how/where do you find when he is there? I assume it's at the Santan Village one?!? Let me know.
Sharp knives?? What are those? Actually, I need to get some nice knives that would actually need to be sharpened and didn't come dull first!
This is a very satisfying picture. I wish I had a knife that nice to be sharpened.
That is so not your knife, right? Thanks for the tip earlier, I managed to wrangle the kids together to get to Joann's just in time to get me scissors sharpened and tightened, they were very loose. I also got some more paper, the surfer set to be exact!
I like that little alien. Even the aliens would laugh at my dull knives.
I can honestly say I have never thought about sharpening my knives!
Does Sven come to Atlanta?
I'm a big fan of keeping things sharp.
A very reliable source says that Aliens do wear buckets on their heads and carry dust busters....who else would do all the cleaning?
Post a Comment