Monday, December 22, 2008

Tacky Sweater Party

Maddy and I decided to throw a Christmas party together and then we realized that everyone (practically everyone) we invited could come so panic set in - neither one of our homes was big enough for 45-50 people!!! We were counting on several couples to have other commitments. We had no idea how popular we were. :) So we had to divide the party in half as not to suffocate our guests. Her guest list was at her house and my guest list was at my house. I WISH I had the forethought to take a picture of every couple but alas, I did not. Here are some highlights:

This display was the one elegant part of the evening.
The platter was our grand prize for best tacky holiday wear.

The party was such a blast. Great food brought by all the guests, a fun "lines from Christmas Movies" put together by Dustin and Maddy, (did we all know that Die Hard takes place at Christmas time therefore making it a Christmas movie and The Gremlins - remember them? The game was HARD!) and a white elephant gift exchange. We even had a roaring fire outside - thanks to Andy the Eagle Scout for starting the fire.

Darcy had sweater issues...
He got hot and had to remove his dickey turtleneck (without removing his sweater. Quick thinking Darcy.)

One of the favorite White Elephant gifts: A stuffed frog tissue dispenser. Totally was a hot item!

Another popular gift: A red balaclava (face mask) that was too small for Mark but just right for Heather's son who has been complaining of a cold face when he rides his bike to school so she stole it!

Some more great gifts that didn't get photographed...

A photo charm bracelet filled with photos of muscle men/body builders. Charming.
An autographed hockey puck signed by Wayne Gretzky
A 1 inch thick stack of Meredith & Steve's extra engagement photos

Everyone had to vote for the best sweater or outfit for the party.

Stacy won...not for a sweater but for a full holiday ensemble obviously assembled from holiday decor and accessories from around her house!

Several others got creative with puffy paint sweatshirts, hand sewn on real tree ornaments and jingle bells, and Cliff Huxtable sweaters that really brought the holiday spirit! Molly even had a shirt with a star that had flashing lights!

Joe won the boobie prize of a "new to you" holiday spirit sweatshirt. To his credit, at least his hat was red and he was the one who made the awesome muscle men charm bracelet but as for as general attire goes, he had the scroogiest outfit. So, we hooked him up.

Molly and Andy in their holiday finest.

Steve and Mer at the end of the party. Can I tell you I looked for several days to find sweaters and holiday wear for us and didn't find much??? It was hard! And each time I was at a thrift store, I saw someone else on the hunt as well. Tacky sweater parties are all the rage now I guess. Steve was extra thrilled when he found laid out on the bed for him to wear this awesome woman's shirt that says "believe" across the chest in an extra festive design. My outfit? A red t-shirt with homemade holiday fabric appliques outlined in gold glitter puff paint, underneath a long sleeve button up shirt with gingerbread men, jingle bell earrings, and on my ponytail was Lindsay's red and green puffy fluffy jingle bell hair thingy.

Oh, and some holiday socks.





4 comments:

Danika said...

Wish we could have been there - it looks fun (and definitely more fun than dealing with Tyler's sick issues that night)! Though I don't see too many uber-tacky sweaters in those photos...

Leslie said...

oh my gosh...there are some killer ugly sweaters. too funny.

Katrina said...

Oooohhh! I wanna go! It's rather unfortunate too b/c I have seen a pantheon of tacky sweaters out here. For sale. You don't have to go out of your way to make them up b/c they are goin' like hot cakes at the Macy's. What fun to see all those wonderful faces. Miss them all. Except Mr. Darcy whom I've never met. But hey, ya gotta appreciate a man who can strip in public. ;D

Michelle said...

So great! I love that you do the tacky sweater party! Your sweater is awesome!