I think the photos speak for themselves.
For Thanksgiving, we were invited to join with Debbie's family at her sister Janet's house. Janet, who has the awesome pool mentioned in this post. There was a rumor that they may heat the hot tub up but the weather was not cooperating, being a rainy day and all. But, it was a lovely day nonetheless. Any rainy day here is savored. Anyway, I was asked to bring homemade rolls and I was happy to do so. For our family, I am usually the baker and spend Wednesday and Thursday morning baking upwards of 9 pies and a double batch of rolls. This year I got off easy because Judy and Janet made blackberry pies with berries from the family cabin property and it was delicious! I was not great about getting pictures but here are a couple...
Friday night we were able to attend the ASU vs. UCLA football game. We had a fantastic time! My friend's husband is the head trainer for the football team (He's the guy who is the first to rush on the field for injuries) and she told me that any time we wanted tickets he could most likely get get them for us so this was the first time we took her up on it. Sure, it was a 7:30 game which meant getting home at about 11pm but its not like it was a school night or anything. It was a pretty good game if you are an ASU fan - I had never seen a 100 yard interception return for a touchdown, at least, not that I ever knew I saw!
It's amazing how quickly a free game turns into:
$10 Parking
$7 two pom poms hair ponies
$6 cotton candy
$7 two Italian Ice's
$4 one nacho
(I chose not to get the fancy $5 caramel apple but I really wanted it.)
$10 Parking
$7 two pom poms hair ponies
$6 cotton candy
$7 two Italian Ice's
$4 one nacho
(I chose not to get the fancy $5 caramel apple but I really wanted it.)
Clockwise from top left - 1. the girl's favorite part of the night: riding the courtesy cart from the ticket gate at the bottom of the hill to the stadium. Sun Devil stadium is built into a mountain side and has a steep walk-up. 2. Watching the game with Daddy with their fancy new Sun Devil pom pom hair ponies. 3. Eating some of that pricey cotton candy. 4. Daddy shelling out the cash.The girls have several decorations for their own room. I passed along our first nativity set to Lindsay several years back when I got my first larger set. I have since bought the girls each a small set and plan to do so every once in a while. We also started a tradition of buying them a snow globe each year (just started last year) but I have already purchased one for them this year so that makes it a tradition, right? They have a 4 ft pre-lit tree (with colorful lights - they chose it, not me...I would have chosen clear of course.) They have all their own ornaments they have received as gifts or trinket ornaments from parties, Santa jingle bells, etc. Turns out this tree is great leverage for bedtime behavior. It gets taken out of their room if we hear a peep (or a crash against a wall which is usually more likely). Since going up, it has happened once. They got it back and (so far) went to bed perfectly.
The girls in the process of decorating. They cleared a toy shelf for their nativities and snow globe.This is, of course, the official decorating for Christmas weekend. A few highlights...and a lowlight.
About 4 or 5 years ago, I convinced Steve that we needed to buy a pre-lit fake tree. This goes against everything I believe in because where I was raised, outside of Portland, OR, was the heart of Christmas Tree Farm Land, that magical place where all the lots that sell fresh trees have banners that say "Fresh Cut Oregon Christmas Trees" get those trees. It really pained me to buy a fake tree but it was $100+ well spent. I don't remember how much it cost but I know it has paid for itself in what we had been paying for a dead fresh tree every year.
Now, we say a prayer to the Pre-lit Artificial Christmas Tree Gods that the tree lights work each year after spending 11 months baking in our garage.
We finally get to the outside lights late Saturday afternoon. We have a good set-up with plugging the lights into the coach lights by the garage so they are on a switch and timer. It works great...when the whole strand lights up! I think we forgot that last year some of the strings were on the fritz and only lit part way. (Note to self - if they aren't working, just chuck 'em - Christmas lights can't be repaired and sitting in the attic all summer certainly won't do them any favors.) It was starting to get dark so we had to abandon the lights until I bought some new ones. They are in a Wal-Mart bag as we speak. Hopefully, we get them up Saturday.
Few. I wonder how many calories are burned creating a Marathon blog post? Probably none. Lucky me.
Few. I wonder how many calories are burned creating a Marathon blog post? Probably none. Lucky me.












11 comments:
I think I need to spend the whole holiday season at your house, since I have no decorations!!! I'm starting to get sad, do you think I can convince Andy to dig out a few outside lights at least? Maybe I can find the wreath for the front door.
Love the pics of Kate with the lemon. Zac'z had a few lemons but I never have a camera with me.
Thanks for the marathon post. I like the idea of letting the kids have decorations in their room and threatening to take them if they don't go to bed. I need something like that right now.
Those lemon pics are too funny! Your decorations look awesome!
i love everything about this post! the lemon thing cracked me up to no end, as did the ASU hair ponies. i am wondering if i can get a trip to the pool house when i come. i don't care how cold it is i want to go down that slide!! i don't think i've ever been to your house but the girls room is SO cute and pink! i love their little tree!
We were supposed to go to that same game! (end zone under the jumbotron.) But the missionsries came to dinner instead. ;)
Impressive! I have gotten the boxes out of the garage but haven't done much with them yet; mostly because of being out of town over the weekend. We're getting our tree on Saturday and then the real fun will begin! And we still get a real tree every year... just can't bring ourselves not to!
That's the best part of a free game -- you can buy the extras and not feel badly!
You can bet Dustin said a prayer for our tree after he left it on our back porch for 11 months. I can't believe it survived the rain and sun!
The best part of this post is seeing Kate's reaction to the lemon. That is priceless. I love her big smile at seeing the Christmas lights. I can't wait to give her lots of huggles at Christmas. She is soooooo cute.
I am happy to see that you are wearing coats at the football game, I am still processing the fact that Sam sore shorts on Thanksgiving. :)
Sorry your outdoor lights did not work, I am sure you worked your magic somehow!
I am up late tonight, I just got finished watching fancy pants on Cjane and have to email Nikki to tell her to watch it. I am still laughing!
There is so much to comment on. I love the lemon pictures and seeing how Kate is growing. We are returning home tomorrow, and I can't wait to finish up the decorations. I started before we left for Utah, but we still need to buy the tree. Happy holidays!
So funny about the lemon. I've done that with both of kids and funny thing, it kind of backfired with Audrey. She loves a fresh lemon. When we go out to eat, I always have to get extra lemons as she always steels mine after I squeeze it into my water. One time a server saw how much Audrey liked the lemon and brought her a plate with like five slices on it just because she thought it was funny that a baby would like a lemon so much. I think she ate all of them. The decor looks awesome. We're putting up our tree today. Yippee!!!! Carson didn't want to because we're doing away on christmas day and I told him 'not on your life!'
The whole fake Christmas tree thing made me laugh. We live in Oregon, but this is our sixth year with a fake tree, and I LOVE it! I never thought I would say that. My favorite childhood Christmas memories are going to cut down a tree and that amazing smell that fills the house. However, my husband has no such memories and HATED to go get a tree. We tease that the fake tree saved our marriage. It is so much easier and I don't have to bug Lee about putting on more lights. Although, we had a whole section out this year. Uggghhhh...
Post a Comment