Tuesday, December 23, 2008

The rest of Caroline's Birthday!

For weeks Caroline has been planning her birthday party, right down to the outfit she laid out a couple of weeks before. Now, this year is the family party on a Sunday night so it is not as if we were having tons of friends over or anything. But, she has insisted on a Star Wars themed party and wanted a "wookie" (Chewbacca) on her cake. OK. Sure, it almost looks like a candidate for Cake Wrecks but not too bad I hope. She liked it. She wanted to make it with me so we ordered the basic background of "space" from the bakery and we added the wookie ourselves. Add a few light sabers and you're in business!

Afterward our trusty Eagle Scout Andy got the fire going in the backyard and we roasted marshmallows and made s'mores.

Someone got ahold of Daddy's s'mores. We couldn't bear to take it away from her!

Someone was starting to not feel well. (Turns out she had a fever coming on...)

The whole family huddled around the fire with the haze of the smoke.

Getting our traditional double scoop for the birthday girl at Baskin-Robbins!

For the night of her birthday, I was performing in the one night only revivial of my one woman show, "A Christmas Dress for Ellen" for Molly's ward HFPE Christmas program. So, Steve took the girls to dinner. She chose Chick-fil-A. He would have taken her to Outback Steakhouse if that is what she wanted! After my performance was over, I met up with the family for some "good deed doing." That afternoon, Caroline and I cuddled on the couch reading "A Christmas Dress for Ellen" so I could re-fresh my memory and get ready for the night. Anyway, we talked about doing nice things for people who have less than we do or are having a hard time. I reminded her of the day we were shopping at Wal-Mart and grabbed an angel tag from the tree and bought a pair of pink pants for a 5 year old girl. She wanted to do it again the night of her birthday so that is what we did. We decided we could either get one big thing for 1 child or get 3 things for 3 different children. The girls decided to buy gifts for 3 children. They kind of got distracted trying to shop for themselves but in the end, I know they understood what we were doing. Caroline said in the car that night "This is like what Dylan did for his birthday. He did something nice for other people just like we did." (Dylan had us bring gifts to donate to a toy drive instead of gifts for him.) I am so glad Caroline got to experience that and understood the connection.

Love ya babe!


5 comments:

Danika said...

I love that she wanted a Star Wars birthday. My boys would be so jealous. And the wookie cake rocks!

Corbett Family said...

I love the wookie cake. J.D. just informed me that he wants a Star Wars party at home (instead of going to a bounce place, which sounds easier to me). I now need to think of enough Star Wars activities to keep 6 six year old boys entertained for an hour. Should be fun!

Kathleen said...

i need to be your child, specifically for birthday treats!

Katrina said...

AH AHAHA HAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA! When I looked at the cake I got the movie right but not the character. I though, "That looks like Jabba the Hut, better read this post carefully..."

Good for her for knowing her mind and enjoying it. Caroline likes Star Wars and Abigail likes dinosaurs. Yep, and they both wear pink! Groovy belt, BTW, simply groovy!

Molly said...

The picture of all of us around the fire turned out really well, I'm impressed. Thanks for missing Caroline's Real B-day and helping me out, you did a great job!