Last year I pre-purchased soccer cleats for this year, having found them super cheap. Fall soccer starts and oops - we can only find one of Lindsay's cleats for this year and the other is no where to be found. I hate to spend the $ again especially on something that a kid cannot possibly wear out, so, a trip to Good Will was in order - take my chances on finding a cheap used pair. I loaded the van with my growing give-away pile from the garage and Caroline, Kate and I went to Good Will and made our donation. Just as I was pulling out of the drop off area, I saw a woman pull up with her van and start to unload a crib mattress. My eyes perked up! Our crib mattress has seen better days, the vinyl cover was cracked all over, probably from being stored in the blistering heat of the garage for a few years before being used again! I literally covered the thing in duct tape to keep from having to buy a new one - they aren't cheap! So, I asked the woman if she was donating it. We talked and tried to find the unload helper guy to ask if she could donate and then I could buy it of it was against policy for her just to give it to me. He was nowhere to be found so she said "you can just have it!" FREE. Nice. The duct tape one was OK but kind of weirdly bumpy in places. This will be better, of course! We go inside and go straight to kids shoes to hopefully find what I desperately need. Wahoo! A pair of size 13 Adidas soccer cleats. $2.99. Score!!! We stay in shoes for a while because, Caroline is trying everything on, and we see some roller blades just the size for the girls to use. $5.99. Super fun! We wander around the store, because, you never know what you are going to find there. Well, low and behold, I see a Baby Bjorn carrier. We have one but it is old - it was old when it was a hand-me-down given to us when we had Lindsay and had truly seen better days. This is one of the newest ones. $5.99. Wowza!!! I love my sling but a Bjorn adds versatility with the babes and Daddy can use it. Anyway, a new kitchen rug for in front of my sink, some beautiful wood candle pillars, a black bread basket that matches my kitchen, and a truly horrid mushroom needlepoint (I was after the frame for a project I learned about HERE) and I think I scored!
I love thrift stores. I need to go more often. The blog I referenced above, Joys of Home, has has great decorating ideas and almost everything she gets is from thrift stores or the dollar store. Consider me converted!












11 comments:
I am a thrift-store-a-holic, and I'm proud to admit it. Thank goodness I always have "little helpers" with me so I never get to spend too much time (or money) in there. I could go broke saving money!!!
You found some great loot! I especially like the candle sticks. Ironically, I just mentioned to Quincy yesterday that I wanted to go antiquing soon! Hopefully, I will be as lucky.
Yaaaaaaay for thrift stores! They are often disappointing, but sometimes you hit the jackpot. Congratulations on your finds!
Looks like you got some good deals!
I love that blog.I've gotten some great ideas and I can't wait to implement them. This is the most/earliest I've ever nested in my life. I can't believe you got Adidas soccer cleats for that cheap! Holy Cow!
Gotta love good thrift store finds! Soccer cleats--what you really need is a sister who is only 5 years older than your daughter so you can have a big box of every size of soccer shoe (even multiples of some sizes which will come in handy when you have twins) that gets added to every year. It's great! I haven't bought a pair of soccer cleats yet. And, they are all in great condition because they are only worn for one season.
You always find good stuff at thrift stores, hopefully I will be as lucky when I go out so we can do some crafty stuff!
Hey - I would love to come thrift store shopping with you some time. I checked out that website. Way COOL!
Thanks for the blog, Joys of home. What a killer blog. So many cool, easy ideas. And, unlike some projects on HGTV (one of my fav shows) I can actually make most of those project with just me and no money without needing a crew of people and lots of dough. Haven't explored much here of the thrift shops...there seems to be so much to explore!!
WOOT WOOT! I love a good deal. Glad to hear you were after the frame and not the scary mushrooms.
We need to figure out some "class" dates for the girls. Does Linds want to come home with us after school on Friday and I can take them shopping?
Great job! I never go but now I am thinking that I better because I am missing out! Cool!
Post a Comment