Monday, January 26, 2009

The light of our lives.

Doesn't this just make you happy?

Time to update Baby Kate and her progress towards gaining weight and correcting her feet. We just love this tiny little thing. I say, "who cares that she still has not doubled her birth weight? I get a tiny baby for just a little longer." But, the doctors get concerned when they start out life off the charts (big) at birth and are steadily dropping growth curves and falling off the charts (small). It could signal allergies, nutrient absorption issues, etc. Other than low weight, she is healthy so I have not been too concerned but did start squeezing in an extra nursing per day (usually late at night when I was the last to go to bed...nice quiet together time.) We were back again for a weight check mid January. Kate was able to gain 1 whole pound in 3 1/2 weeks clawing her way into 5-10% percentile range. She weighed in at 15 lbs 5 oz at 8 months. Way to go, Fatso!

At the pediatrician office for her weight check.
I told Dr. W. that the needed to bill us for a roll of table paper.


3 days later we were at the Pediatric Orthopedic for her first follow up for her Metatarsus Adductus - her curving in feet. She wears the AFO splints/braces at least 20+ hours a day and we try to remember to do her Physical Therapy - stretching of her feet - when we play with her. They said to keep on doing what we are doing - so far it is working. I don't see a huge noticable change but there is some. As soon as I take the braces off her feet curl right in again but it is getting better. It is a process like watching paint dry or water boil - it takes a long time. We will need to address a slightly new approach when she starts walking - either a brace structured differently to wear with shoes or a "reverse last" shoe that she wears for walking with the braces like we have now while sleeping. So far, the don't think she will need any casting but they don't make that assessment more until after 1 year of age. Let's hope for no casts!!! The orthotist who makes and adjusts her braces is great - we have been in several times to adjust for pressure points or to adjust straps or most recently, to drill holes into the heels of the braces to allow for more moisture to escape. She had already had the signs of pressure sores on her heels and had a fit adjustment to fix that so I had been checking them carefully and was surprised when I saw new issues develop - turns out it was the moisture issue.

At the doc getting her feeties checked out. Dr. H. and the PA were fantastic - they got on the floor where she was playing and examined her feet while she played.

Baby Kate is such a joy, a truly happy baby. She lights up the room and puts a smile on our faces all day long. Steve loves coming home to her - holding her after work is his "Calgon, take me away!" moment.


5 comments:

The Evans Family said...

I can see why she is such a joy-she is just darling! And way to go Kate for gaining weight. Maybe Isaac should share a little of his with her! =-) I didn't realize it would take so long for the feet to correct. The casts are so cute and at least you have good people to help with them.
I'm assuming the comment from Lori on my blog was from you. The blog for Neil looks good and is a great idea.

Myers Mayhem said...

Lori/Meredith~I'm glad you set up a blog for Neil, We will keep him in our prayers. Kate is too cute I love her flower band.

Evon said...

She is adorable...makes me want one. I'm happy admiring from afar!

Lori said...

What a doll she is! Such cute pictures. Neil still has a "curly" left foot and it never slowed him down! Lots of luck with your sweet little girl. Have the doctor's checked for Celiac?

Shawni said...

first of all, she is darling. You sure have the opposite problem we do on the weight thing! She is so tiny. I love the cute little braces. It looks like you're doing all you can and I'm so glad the doctors seem to think it's working.

I'm so sorry about your cousin Neil. It sure makes you think about life. My friend's dad just passed away so unexpectedly and it sure makes you think. Oh I hope that Neil will be ok.

Also, let me know if you want me to help with R.S. Remember we talked about that a while ago and I was kinda hesitant? Well, I don't really do the mothering stuff at the studio any more...mostly just photography stuff so I don't think it's be a conflict of interest. So if you want me to do the mothering stuff for your R.S. let me know.

Anyway, good to catch up here a little!