Friday, January 9, 2009

Christmas Eve & Christmas Day...finally!

Our family was invited to the John's family Christmas Eve celebration and we were so excited to attend. We really have fun when we are with Debbie's family and we knew this would not be a party to miss. They always have an Italian themed dinner - I don't think there could have been more pastas or bread and it was so delicious!! The kids all participated in a "draw names" gift exchange and my kiddos received Star Wars and Hannah Montana gifts - big hits. The adults do a gift exchange where you bring a $25 gift for either a woman, man, or neutral. Then, we draw names to pick the gifts and the fun part is all the stealing, wheeling, and dealing that goes on - gotta love a good gift exchange game! On the drive home we discovered a fantastic neighborhood to drive thru that is decorated to the hilt - for you local readers, the Circle G Ranches neighborhood off Lindsay South of Baseline is AWESOME!!! We stopped at a convenience store on the way home because Doh! We were out of milk and how could we put out milk and cookies for Santa without milk???


Upon arriving home the girls found Christmas jammies and new slippers laying out for them under their Christmas tree in their bedroom. (Little did we know how much more we would be seeing these jammies in the coming week...)


We all snuggled together and read some scriptures and "Twas the Night Before Christmas", milk and cookies and Christmas Wish Lists taped to the tree for Santa...


Santa (and Mommy and Daddy) slipped a few gifts under the tree. Lucky ducks. But the girls got a note from Santa that a usual item included in their stocking was left out - he said that he has noticed they leave candy wrappers around the house too much so...no candy this year!


Christmas morning mahem!!!! Some favorite gifts of the morning...the gifts we handmade for each other, Lindsay LOVED the tiny tiara, chandelier for the ceiling fan, and a real artist manual and sketch pad. Kate loved her seahorse that lights up and plays soothing music and sippy cups, and Caroline LOVED LOVED LOVED her real light saber!! Daddy really liked his new iPod which is really cool...much nicer than his old one...that I lost on an airplane last summer.


Molly's family joined us for our traditional Christmas morning brunch. This is NOT a dress up affair. The food is always awesome when we throw out a brunch spread...except for when I screw up the sweet rolls....like I did that day. Oh well. We still had plenty to eat - Thanks Molly!!


Our favorite Christmas Elves!


Dad helps us keep a Stone Family tradition alive...Chinese food for Christmas Eve is the exact tradition but since this year we spent Christmas Eve with Debbie's Family we went out for Chinese Christmas night. So yummy and such a fun tradition! Thanks Dad!!


Debbie has a tradition of giving thoughtful personalized ornaments for Christmas gifts and we so appreciate the thought and time she puts into this every year! Caroline loves the R2D2 ornament that nailed her current Star Wars obsession, Lindsay adores her Hannah Montana ornament, Kate's is a darling "first Christmas" ornament, Steve got a car representing his new purchase this summer, and I got a tool chest that says "Mrs. Fixit."


Someone got the Hannah Montana mother load!! Dad and Debbie and Auntie Molly, you did great!

These are quite possibly my favorite Christmas gift this year. Dad and Debbie gave each of us several of these for our pantries. They have A) made gift giving easier and choose a theme gift to give all of us because they figure we don't need a bunch of stuff and B) feel very strongly about preparedness and want to help us in ways they can. Last year, Molly and I each received pressure canners. This year, the Shelf Reliance Pantry rotation system. I LOVE LOVE LOVE them. (Oh, and Steve got a couple of "Scene it" games - Seinfeld and Pirates of the Caribbean editions. I guess a guy can only get so excited about pantry stuff and need something fun!)


Debbie made flannel "rag" quilts for all the kiddos. With her grandchildren combined, I think she made 12 blankets!!! WOW!!! This is one amazing gift for the kids to treasure. (We will try hard to forget that Caroline pouted because her blanket is princesses and neither Star Wars or Tinkerbell...we need to work on the manners...) Seeing as I didn't complete a couple of my sewing Christmas gifts in time, I know how much work this was for Debbie and we all appreciate it sooo much!

And wait...there is more....

A preview of things to come in my next post - our trip to South Carolina!!



9 comments:

Danika said...

Kevin's aunt used to live in Circle G Ranches. Then she moved to a bigger, fancier house near Camelback!

I think Caroline has more Star Wars stuff than my boys now...

jeannie said...

So glad you all had a very Merry Christmas!
Can't wait to see you.

The Evans Family said...

Emma loved seeing Lindsay's matching pj's! Emma wore them a ton after Christmas, it was hard to get them off of her. Looks like you guys had a good Christmas. BTW, how did Caroline come up with Trace and Josh??

Sims Family said...

Fa Ra Ra Ra Ra Ra Ra Ra Ra.

Chinese on Christmas Eve IS a tradition!

Looks like fun!

Quincy Sorensen said...

I love the pajama and Christmas pictures! Also the Chinese food Christmas eve tradition. I have a chunky ham pot pie that I make Christmas eve. Tradition! And I really love (err, covet) those Shelf Reliance pantry items!

I can't believe I get to see you in just six days! I am so excited to meet baby Kate, too!

Maddy said...

Looks like a ton of fun. The girls look so cute. We still need to do our silver dress pictures.

Can't wait to hear about your trip.

Myers Mayhem said...

I'm totally jealous of your pantry goods rotater. I've been eyeing them at costco for a while. Lucky duck.

Clemstock said...

What a great Christmas! We have an ornament thing also where every year we buy matching ornaments for each of us so when the girls leave home all of our Christmas trees will have a little of each other on them.

And, I am so glad that you have things that were not finished for Christmas. I am still working on finishing a purse for Lexia. It's looking like it will be more of a Valentines gift at the rate I am going.

Kathleen said...

hope you're having fun in our time zone. as always, your girls are adorable. i was glad to finally meet little miss kate, her eyes are gorgeous! i am SO jealous you and molly live so close to each other!