Sunday, November 18, 2007

I have been very homesick lately....

These past few weeks have really sent me into a "homesick mode." I miss Oregon. The Portland area to be specific. I miss the rain. I miss the clouds. I miss the gardens. I miss the bridges and the rivers. I miss the thriving yet small and intimate in scale downtown. I even miss the elephants at the zoo. I don't know what makes right now different from all other 7 years I have lived in Arizona, maybe it is the fact that my A/C kicked on today and it is November 18th. Maybe it was that my kids were hot on Halloween...and they were dressed as cheerleaders. Maybe it is finding a scorpion hiding under Lindsay's sneakers she kicked off in the family room. (Or the scorpion found in our shower or in our bed or under a pile of Polly Pockets as the girls were picking up their room...)

We are going to Portland for Christmas and will be spending a week there. It will be cold, it most certainly will be wet, and there is always a *chance* it might snow. My Grandma and Aunt have rented a beach house for 3 days right after Christmas - it will be stormy and cold - curl up by the fireplace, play games, watch the waves crash on the rocks. Wonderful. We cannot wait.
Downtown Portland, 5th Ave.
Japanese Gardens at Washington Park
Mt. Hood - view at dusk from Washington Park - the nation's largest Urban Park.
The Rose Gardens in Washington Park
The Steel and Freemont Bridges over the Willamette River
Packy (I think!) from the largest and most successful Asian elephant breeding program in the world at the Oregon Zoo.

No comments: