Now on these dresses. It is no secret that in the past year I have become an even greater fan of thrifting and recycling clothes. In fact, it has been since August that I bought something brand new for myself to wear. Anyway, I made a decision a couple months ago that I would follow suit in making my girls Christmas dresses. Every component would be thrifted or something I already had in my stash of fabrics. For me, the sweater I bought years ago at a thrift store, I don't remember where or when. It is from the 50's, I think. My skirt was a recent goodwill find. For the girls, the red taffeta (L & K) came from the skirt I wore for Meghan's wedding and the leftover fabric in my stash. The black fabric (C) was in my stash of fabric too. I can't remember why I bought it. The white accents came from a goodwill $1 shirt that I bought knowing I would use it for the accents - it was the perfect fabric. (I have bought a few things like this on dollar day - a great way to buy buttons too.) It is the sash on Lindsay's dress and the fabric flower on her headband the tuxedo accent on Caroline's. The black accent on Kate's is also from my stash. It was literally scraps. I then had all the interfacing, elastics, and buttons needed to complete the dresses. The only thing I purchased ($3) was the pattern for Caroline's dress. The other two I either didn't use a pattern or modified one I already had. So not counting items from my supplies and stashes of fabric, I spent a grand total of $4 on 3 Christmas dresses for my girls. (And several hours...)
I am going to do a big fat toot of my own horn. I am quite pleased with how they came out!
I am going to do a big fat toot of my own horn. I am quite pleased with how they came out!
We also celebrated Caroline's birthday and had our Christmas with Dad, Debbie, and Molly's family. I gave up taking pictures... We had a yummy lasagna dinner and Caroline received some super fun gifts - a magician set and a gift card to Old Navy - that is quite the grown up gift and she cannot wait to use it. Debbie selected personalized ornaments for everyone celebrating their accomplishments, talents, and interests of the year - soccer, gymnastics, running, work, and my perfect little angel received an angel ornament. Lindsay finally got a Taylor Swift CD and Caroline a baseball glove - for our little south paw. Steve and I got a little help towards big items on our wish lists. Thanks Dad and Debbie - very thoughtful gifts indeed!
Oh, and a couple other things:
1. Last day of school....
2. I am a working girl again. Read my bio here. 7th bio down. I will be working with a friend from the girl's school who has a small marketing firm. It looks a bit fancy pants but in reality I will have 5-10 hours a week of work writing, research, and some social media marketing. Honestly, it feels a bit like junior high school - one of my main assignments as a "copywriter" will be summarizing articles to use a blog posts for client websites. Sounds like Friday current events in 8th grade. I will also be occasionally tweeting and facebooking on behalf of clients. I was nervous adding something else to my day but a) I like how it forces me to re-structure my day and b) I liked getting my first paycheck!












12 comments:
So, do I get a prize??!!
1. Love the dresses, they look beautiful! I will NEVER make dresses, mostly because the fitting and tweaking would freak me out. I think I would be the one in tears!
2. I feel the same way about being at school, as long as she wants me there, I will be there!
3. Good luck on the new job. The best part IS getting the paycheck!
WOW, that is awesome. You are definetly allowed to toot you horn LOUD as you can! Good job!
I love how the dresses turned out! What pattern did you mod for Lindsay's dress? We're still on the Baptism dress pattern hunt and need something fast!
The dresses are amazing! Good Job!
I really enjoyed looking at all of the pictures what you guys have been up to. The girls dresses are lovely. You did a fantastic job on them. It looks like Caroline had such a fun birthday party. I'm glad you had a great evening at the Nutcracker--those costumes are amazing.
Your dresses turned out FAB! Our mom made all of us girls (4 of us!) dresses every.single.year! It was definitely a Christmas highlight for me. And of course being thrifty as well as cute is the best!
Cute dress!
Love the dresses. I am actually excited to sew some dresses now that I finally have a girl. It is a little difficult to re-work boys clothes to be anything other than what they started out as, but mine are all getting plenty of use being passed down through three. Congrats on joining the ranks of the part-time working moms. I miss the extra free-time I could have, but I like the paycheck too.
Well done! *clap clap clap* I think they look great, and its amazing that you found time to do all three, with accessories and ON TIME for the holidays. :D I usually drop one of those along the way.
Hope you have a happy and peaceful week!
The dresses turned out beautiful! Your girls are such little ladies! Merry Christmas!
Absolutely beautiful! I jealous of such talent.
Just getting around to catching up on everyone's blogs--LOVE the dresses! Especially the tuxedo dress. Way to go!
Post a Comment