Thursday, September 24, 2009

On a lighter note....

Someone is learning to use a cup!
(Nice post nap hair, I must say.)


What else is the little Critter Fritter up to? Walking (at 16 months), cracked 20 lbs at her 16 mo. check up, "talks" on the phone (usually the remote control), emptying shoe baskets, unloading the bookshelf, unloading the refrigerator, you know, in general undoing everything around the house! She also does pretty fabulous impression of a lizard and has us praying several times a day, often several times during a meal, when she offers the queue of her folded arms.

On Monday night we were having FHE and it was kind of past bedtime. I said, just generally outloud, "Kate, you need to go to bed!" (Not like I was expecting her to follow my directions.) Well, she surprised all of us with a pause, looked my direction, and did an about face and toddled herself on down to her bedroom! We all just sat there stunned and Steve decided to follow her. When he got to her room he called and said I had to come and see. There was the little Critter Kate standing in her dark room, one hand on her crib, not sure what to do next!

She sure does keep us entertained and on our toes. Tonight she started kicking the soccer ball a little bit at Caroline's practice - just too cute for words! We have a little Leapfrog ABC's magnet toy that plays the ABC song when a button is pushed. The other day she was carrying it around on her shoulder next to her ear, boom box style.

Steve has been working late (alot) lately and he misses his time with Kate so much. The other night when he got home at 10:30 he went into her room and just watched her sleep. I would miss her too. I found out something else from Steve - he said that often if they have quiet cuddle time together, he calls her Katherine. Hmmmm....I have never called her Katherine, ever! Heck, I rarely call her Kate - why when I can call her Critter Fritter? We talked about that nickname at Mutual Wednesday night. We decided that basically I am calling her a squirrel donut.

Today I decided I needed to get her out to playgroup and go the park. I brought my camera to take pictures and everything. Forgot pictures. And, just as we were about to leave, I saw she was covered in ants! Yikes! Apparently she picked up a cheerio off the ground (from the spilled snacks) that was covered in ants! They were all over her hands, on her legs, in her shoes, and in her mouth and on her face! A couple other moms helped me douse her with water bottles, strip her naked and almost choke her to wash the ants out of her mouth. it was so sad!

On to the weekend...Friday playdates, Saturday brings soccer and Women's Conference and I think out for dessert with girlfriends after.


5 comments:

Katrina said...

Your babe is adorable! Who could resist that grin!!! And I have to laugh. Have we all bought the $1.95 Ikea cups?! So funny.

I was so sorry to hear about the ants though. BLEH! Will that cure her from picking up cheerios off the ground? My guess is noooooooo... at least for awhile. :D

Danika said...

She is so cute & looks so grown up! If it's a Ray 3rd playgroup, let me know when/where, I would love to stop by and say hello to everyone sometime (hopefully without the ant drama....)!

Sims Family said...

What a cutie! I haven't seen her for like a year! Her hair is so light now!

jeannie said...

I have been patiently waiting for you to do a Kate post. I LOVE the pictures of her. She is so darling. I love to hear about all of her new tricks! She is such a big girl now that she can drink from a cup.

Now, I must say if Sam can change his name to Steve while he is away at college, then it is not too late to call her Katherine. Although, I would have to get used to that one... :)

The Evans Family said...

Squirrel Donut!! Too funny! What a cutie she is, I love that age. They understand and do so much more.

Sounds like your day today will be much like mine, lots of soccer on tournament day and then Women's Conference and girlfriends. Yay! Have fun!