Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Could there be a sweeter eight year old?

Today my baby is Eight years old.

8 years ago I was anxiously waiting for my baby girl to come. I had gone into labor at home about 1am August 11th. By that evening I was so sick. My body was not doing well in labor. My kidneys had shut down. I had a 104 fever. I was regressing instead of progressing. Her heart rate was all over the place. Had it not been for a final decision at 2:30am (after 3 hours of pushing thru illness) to finally go ahead and do a c-section, me and my baby girl may have had a different outcome. Instead, at 3:13am my baby was finally delivered. I had passed out - too exhausted and sick from the past 24 hours to be awake when my baby girl was born. But here she was. Crooked ear and all. All 9 pounds of her. Finally I told my mom what Steve and I had decided to name her:

Lindsay Claire Simpson


Oh, how we had dreamed about this day. What would she look like? Who would she look like? Would she have the hair? Well, we all know about the hair. And really, I think she is beautiful and bears a resemblance to my mom. All I know is she was perfect. Just what we had always imagined and more. Never had there been a more perfect baby. My mom dubbed her the world's first perfect grandchild.

I didn't know who or what she would become but I knew she would be loved not only by us but an entire extended family waiting to welcome her into the world, as #1 grandchild in my family, as the #7 grandchild in Steve's family. To her mom and dad who could not get enough of her soft skin, her tiny lips, her 17 chins, her cuddly body.

She has a tender spirit about her and is moved often to notice the small and lovely things this world has to offer. She has a generous loving heart and brings joy to a room with a winning smile and gregarious giggle. A day without Lindsay leaves an ache in my heart for her laugh and eyes that smile from here to the moon.

Me and my baby enjoying the Tide Pools in La Jolla, CA together this past weekend.

Checking out creatures

Watching for the perfect waves. Lindsay was lucky enough to get to spend her birthday weekend at the beach. (More on that later.)

If you are in town, we would love to have you join us as Lindsay is baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is a time to recognize the commitment she has made to live her life according to the teachings of the Jesus Christ and celebrate this special ordinance together as family and friends.


14 comments:

sara said...

Yay! I love those pictures. And that dress. What a beautiful post.

Sims Family said...

Great photos! Happy Birthday Lindsay!

Danika said...

Happy Birthday to Lindsay! I love the photos of her in the white dress in the meadow. Glad you made it to San Diego - can't wait to hear about your trip! We won't be able to make her baptism - my mom is in town that weekend.

PS - I haven't forgotten to bring back your party stuff - I have been sick since Saturday night. Finally starting to feel human again today...

Myers Mayhem said...

Lindsay, you look so beautiful! Happy Birthday!
I love her photos and dress! Where did you have them taken?

Kelly Merrell said...

She is really a beautiful girl!

Maddy said...

Happy Birthday!!! We love you and can't imagine our life without you. Thanks for being Ellie's BFF and a part of our family!

MWAH!

jeannie said...

Happy Birthday to our dear sweet little Lindsay Lou. We hope your birthday is very special. It makes me sad knowing we will miss your baptism. You are very lovely in the beautiful pictures you Mom took of you. I'm glad you had a fantastic weekend at the beach. We love you very much!

Elise said...

She is so pretty! I can not believe it has been 8 years since you had her! How time flies! Tell her happy birthday and congratulations!!

Kary Ann Hoopes Photography said...

great pictures. We were down at la jolla cove this weekend too! I wish we could come to the baptism but we have 2 other church things that day. Lindsay you are a babe at 8! tell your dad to get ready for the boys banging the doors down!

The Evans Family said...

Happy Birthday Lindsay! What a special year it is.

Alison + Brandon said...

Great post and happy birthday to Lindsay! (A couple of days late, sure, but I think birthday celebrations should last several days anyway...) She is a great girl.

Katrina said...

I admire, always, your wonderful view of life and your children. To hold in the present those perfect and serene thoughts that made you want to bring children into the world.

I, myself, am going purple in the face over a chevron car in an unflushed toilet, that was played with and spilled all over the floor - whilst I was cleaning up the mess of spilled Mr. Clean and Lucky CHarms in the kitchen.

I remember that I had those thoughts at one point... but I haven't been able to recall them for awhile....

Evon said...

Happy Birthday!!!! EIGHT is a very important birthday the next one will be in another EIGHT years "16" but for other reasons...oops sorry Meredith don't mean to jump the gun!

Anne said...

Lindsay, I can't believe you are already 8? You are almost the same age as Susanna, she just turned 8 in March. I hear you are a fabulous gymnast now and flipping all over the place. I wish I could see you do your stuff? Let me know if you have a meet? I'm glad your day was special. I miss seeing you. Love Miss Annie Tell Caroline I said hi.