Baby Kate is 10 months old!!! Oh my goodness. My little critter is desperately trying to grow up but I think she is listening when I say "don't grow up too soon!" She has not been too quick to get up and into trouble but I am sure it is just around the corner. She sprouted a couple of teeth around the end of February and can now get up on her knees, scoot herself backwards on her belly, spin around in a circle on her belly, and push herself back up into a sitting position. But crawl forward and pull up on stuff? Not yet!
Last week we took Kate for some tests of her renal system to check if her kidney infection was caused by Urinary Tract Reflux which has a fancy name and I forgot. Steve gave her a blessing and we spent the morning at the Children's Hospital having a long ultrasound procedure to measure all her anatomy (she loved it) and a VCUG (She hated it.) This involved her having a catheter (which took 4 tries to insert - ouch! I think she has met her quota for being cath'ed for a while...) and filling her little bladder with a contrast liquid that would show her "pee" on an x-ray machine. The other not fun part was being strapped to a backboard that rotated her back and forth so she could be x-rayed from various angles while they made her pee - the old warm water trick! She hated it for sure. But in the end she survived and got to "pick" a beanie baby for her trouble. We found out she does not have the reflux which is good news. But, the ultrasound, which seemed the least likely to pick up anything strange, showed she has a 3rd kidney! Apparently, while in utero, her body tried to duplicate her kidney so she has this extra "abnormality" on her right kidney. Alrighty then. It should be of no trouble (or of any use) to her. I figure she can use it in the future when at a party and plays the get to know you game, "two truths and a lie" one of her truths can be that she has 3 kidneys!
We are grateful for the outcome of the tests showing no functional abnormality in her system. While I know it is not too big of deal to have this condition, it was just great news that she didn't it and her kidney infection was just a fluke.
So as not to forget the goofy little things we do, I had to get this down - I say this to Kate all the time lately:
"Hey you! Over there! With the big blue eyes...and all the fancy hair!" (or messy or matted or crusty hair...depending on the moment.)
We love little Kate!













6 comments:
What a sweet little baby! Who would have thought of a 3rd kidney? At least it's hidden. I think it's kind of cool!
I've never heard of a 3rd kidney...glad it's nothing to worry about and all is well!
Happy Birthday, Kate. I can't believe you are 10 months. She is so cute riding the little rocking horse. She is so little! What a relief for her tests to come back normal. Tell her cousin Cozette loves her very much--we all do.
OH. MYGOSH. Benjamin had something similar (being strapped down to look for reflux..) and I was SO TEMPTED to rip him out of it and run away. He was just a preemie though, and I found it hideously cruel. I'm glad that Sweet Kate is doing well, all three kidneys and all! I wish she could use it as an extra. ;D
I'm so glad everything turned out ok for Kate. My mom had three kidneys. Never gave her a moments thought. I loved the snow pictures. Fun and memories are what it's all about.
Wow, that's crazy! Glad she's healthy though :) And what a great smile!
Post a Comment