Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Kitchen part 2

I know so many of you were on the edge of your seat waiting for Part 2!! Here you go! Part 3 will come in a couple weeks, no doubt, and will include all paneling, back splash, and painted cabinets.

While the counters were off, we took advantage of one dead corner. We had decided to convert the cabinet 90 degrees to the left of the sink into a "trash drawer" so we would lose quick access to this dead space. Trying to make the most of this space, we filled it with a ton of our long term food storage cans. Beans, wheat, that sort of thing.

We installed this trash/recycling cabinet/drawer conversion kit from Lowe's. Molly and Maddy both have this and I love it so it was a great little upgrade for us.

Built up this end of the peninsula to be the same flush level for paneling that will be added.


Installation Day

Finished installation of counters, sink, faucet, and dishwasher. We went with a timeless polished edge, no bullnose, bevel, or anything. Note the raw birch panels around the peninsula/bar. We were supposed to start on our decorative paneling but...


...this took priority. This is our sprinkler/dripper valves for the backyard. We ordered some new citrus to be planted this week and went back home to make sure our watering situation was in order for the new trees. We found the valve box full of water. We dug out the box and made a bigger hole so we could figure out what is going on. It is not supposed to be full of water. Nor are you supposed to have pooling water near your foundation. The ground has been saturated under the rocks for who knows how long. We have a guy coming Wednesday...


Back to better looking things. Back splash will happen same time as paneling.


This old view...

Now looks like this. Except I have purchased a new paper towel holder. Maddy so kindly let me know it looked like a wedding gift from 12 years ago. She was probably right.

We had a plumber over to put all the plumbing back together again and installed this beautiful new Frigidaire dishwasher with hidden controls, a sleek front handle. brushed stainless finish...

But the drawer next to it wouldn't open.

So back it went to Spencer's. They were so nice to work with us on this since they had no policy on this. Notice how 2/3'rds of the dishwashers have the front handle - this is the current trend in design of dishwashers. I am afraid they are now going to have a warning clause named after us when selling dishwashers - make sure the customer does not have a U-shaped kitchen when installing this style of dishwasher!!

So now we have this Kitchen Aid, installed by Moi last Saturday.

So the very next day, this is the whole place in action for our first gathering, General Conference brunch and Easter Sunday Dinner. We had 10 kids and 6 adults. It was definitely a casual day but so much easier to entertain such a large group.

Part 3 will be back splash, paneling, and painted cabinets!



13 comments:

Molly said...

Love it! It looks awesome. I ahve your little granite sample sitting on my counter - Andy and I both love it for our hosue as well. Then he said, maybe Meredith doesn't want us to copy her - but of course it is nice to see it all installed! Oh well, it will still be awhile for us I'm afriad but I can't wait! Can't wait to see the cabinets and paneling done! If you need old pregnant me to help with the cabinets I am sure I could offer some labor! Or I could watch KAte...

Danika said...

Wow - you guys have had quite an adventure! It looks great! I will be curious to know what you think of the flat counter vs. the "cubicle" in the long run. We had the cubicle in our old house and the flat in this one. I do love the flat much better for entertaining, but the other 90% of the time I wish I had the cubicle back to keep the kitchen clutter hidden and the water away from the stuff that inevitably gets put there.

Jennie said...

Turned out great!! When can you do mine :)

jeannie said...

It looks absolutely positively fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it. I can't wait to come and eat a sandwich at your bar.

sara said...

FANTASTIC!! I just love your big pretty counter. I bet you love having so much more prep space!

sara said...

And I love undermount sinks too!

Leslie said...

you installed a dishwasher? awesomeness. :)

love the lower counter, it makes so much more sense!

Evon said...

Looks beautiful, congrats!

Maddy said...

Can't wait for part 3! It really looks fantastic. I love it!!

Myers Mayhem said...

The counters look amazing! I love the sink and faucet too! I too can't wait for part 3! Good Luck!

Kathleen said...

you are seriously handy. it looks great and really slick. the picture of all the kids together really melts my heart. you guys are all wonderful! i can't wait to see you and you seester for the baptism!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Your kitchen is beautiful! I love it!

Katrina said...

It looks fantastic Mer. Are you getting that overwhelming feeling of satisfaction?! I would. I am especially envious of your faucet. I love it. It makes me feel like Gollum: WE WANTS IT!!!

Can't believe your baby is blonde. When did THAT happen? Awwwwww. Good for you for hucking the bink though. I don't know which one is the bigger accomplishment! Well. I guess the kitchen for you, and the bink for Steve. YAY! You survived both. :D