Thursday, November 19, 2009

Give Thanks

I am thankful for my glittery "Give Thanks" that I bought with Molly and Maddy at Hob Lob. And I am thankful to get to spend time crafting and creating and girl talking with them this week!

I am thankful for girls big enough and brave enough to ride their bikes to school. This has simplified our lives so much - they are ready to go earlier and Kate can nap in the afternoon! I know I really wanna move on up to a larger home, there is no secret about that, but being within walking and bike riding distance to our school when I know sooooo many who carpool and commute their kids makes staying put seem rather tempting. Notice the bright green grass? I am thankful Steve took time he doesn't have to scalp, de-thatch, fertilize, overseed, and use even more "fertilizer" (manure) so that we can have bright green grass for winter.

I am thankful for a fun Fall Festival at school and even more thankful I was not the committee chair like two years ago! I am thankful Steve was able to join us part way through the evening and we each got a chance to volunteer at a classroom booth. I am thankful for good friends like Ellie who spent that night with us - she is a great friend to both my girls and I adore her to pieces.

I am thankful for the privilege to serve in Young Women's organization with the Mia Maids. I am thankful for all these little friends in my life with quirky personalities and tender spirits I can call my friends. Last night we had our Young Women Evening of Excellence and we celebrated all the "small and simple things" that make them who they are and how it is the "small and simple things" that make up the big tasks and goals that seem overwhelming.

I am thankful we are done making customized clipboards for all the girls. It looked like a craft store had exploded in my house.

I am thankful for fun neighborhood friends for my girls to play with. Bike riding, little forts, playing games - typical stuff. I am thankful we are in play outside weather season!

For the 4th year in a row, I am thankful to get to volunteer teaching Art Masterpiece at school. This year I get to teach AM in both Lindsay and Caroline's class.

I am thankful for the big girls coming home after school and enjoying snack time together with me. Usually it is a smoothie or yogurt and crackers or fruit but we bought a "fancy old fashioned" (so the girls say) air popper and popcorn now is a great after school snack! I am also thankful for Caroline's teacher who had a "man to man" talk with Caroline about being more cooperative during after school homework time. :)

I am thankful that Steve was able to attend Donuts with Dad with Caroline last week. The dads were treated to some adorable songs (I know because Caroline practiced them for me!) and then enjoy donuts and juice together. I am thankful the girls had fun playing with the camera the night before (creative little geniuses) but kinda bugged that the convert color selection was accidentally left on turning tons of stuff to pink and purple. There is a little evidence left in this picture - I couldn't fix it all the way...

I am so thankful for another helper in the kitchen. Now that we have figured out that Kate can sit on a bar stool and (hopefully) not fall off I have brought her into the kitchen to watch and even help on occasion. One night we were making waffles for dinner when Daddy was working late and she really wanted to help - she had an absolute ball!

I am thankful and thrilled that some things Caroline is learning at school are starting to stick at home. One night She decided she needed to write to 100 on the white board. I know she struggles with handwriting being a lefty and all and she is learning very precise handwriting techniques and I need to work extra hard on it with her. I am thrilled she is understanding the concept of her spelling pickle now (in Kindergarten they call a test a pickle so it doesn't sound so scary) and last night she wanted to practice her spelling list over and over so she would do the very best she can today.

I am having lots of fun perfecting my recipe for Peanut Butter Mousse Pie and am thankfully getting closer to getting it right. The above? Crust was not my best, for sure, but I was working on the guts of the pie - getting the mousse peanut buttery enough and sweet enough and making the ganache layer not so bittersweet and making the right ratio of whipping cream topping. It is close to what Steve wants me to duplicate - the Peanut Butter Pie at TGI Friday's. It is close. We will be having it for Thanksgiving dinner. OK, not for dinner. After dinner. Along with probably 6 other kinds of pies.

I am thankful for this little crazy girl! She is at that silly fun age when they get attached to stuff around the house and think they are the Cat's Meow and the Bee's Knees! She is in love with her pink dragon fly shoes. She thinks a tooth brush is the coolest and even brought it to the soccer game last week and used it as a utensil to eat a blue snow cone. She absolutely adores Mommy's head lamp light. I have had it out lately to wear on 5:45am runs when it is still dark and Kate discovered the thing and for a few days wouldn't take it off or leave home without it.

October 2008 - prior to starting her splints

I am also grateful that months and months of perseverance have paid off and she no longer has to wear her braces on her legs. In June we went from full time to just nights. In mid-October we got the go ahead to try the next two months without. Her feet look fabulous! We have our next follow-up in January to see if she has regressed any or if any changes need to be made but so far so good. Hopeful this will all just be a blip and she will never remember having to wear the braces. I recently framed the above photo for her room. So sweet.

I have a lot to be thankful for and I am beyond grateful I get to be these girl's mom every single day. Some days are hard, some are harder, but I am trying to have it together to be a better mom and be more available to my girls and bet he mom they need me to be. I know I can do better and every day is a new day, I tell myself!

I am truly grateful for Steve's job and career. I know I have been grumbling and fretting a lot because of the horrid hours he has been working lately. I have been feeling like a single mom most days for several weeks. My girls have often seen an impatient Mommy. I know Steve is not happy with the long hours either; often he is not home until 10pm or as late as 1am. The first thing he does is go to the girls rooms and watches them sleep. He is even having to work a ton when he is home. But things are starting to look better (maybe? ) and we know we are blessed to have this job right now when so many are struggling with employment.

I am thankful for my new found habit of early morning runs. I am taking the advice of my dear friend (and sister in law's sister) Quincy who told me, when I asked what kind of motivating play list she uses for her runs, she told me she doesn't run with her iPod. Instead using this time to pray, ponder, meditate, and let the Spirit speak to her. I find if I miss the run, I not only "miss the run" but I also miss the quiet time to myself. I enjoy the quiet time to be inspired and hear what the Lord needs me to hear when the rest of the day is so loud. I have found this to be excellent advice and have encouraged my young women to be still more often so that they may hear the still small voice. Advice we all need to hear.

7 comments:

sara said...

Wow, what a great list! I second so many of your thankful items. We are so blessed.

Danika said...

Beautiful post. I am loving doing my gratitude posts every day this month. I think I could do it every day for a whole year and not run out of things to write about. I agree with Sara - we are SO BLESSED!

Quincy Sorensen said...

You really do have so much to be thankful for. I enjoy seeing all the pictures of your children, and your YW are mighty lucky to have you as a leader/friend! I am also glad that you are enjoying your morning runs. :)

Molly said...

These are all wonderful things to be thankful for. Your YW are lucky to have you as their leader! I'm also looking forward to more crafting this week!

jeannie said...

What a delightful post. You truly have much to be grateful for. I loved all of the pictures and especially seeing how big our little Katers is getting!

Clemstock said...

Hey I loved your "thankful" post. And, I can feel your pain with the late nights coupled with feeling like a single parent, and for your sake, I hope that this time ends soon! And, although it doesn't help or make it any easier, you are not alone. And, I am digging the early morning runs you are doing. I started running early at 5 when I went back to work and it is amazing the changes you can feel. Will be thinking about you and those late single parent nights and early morning runs....

The Evans Family said...

So much to be thankful for! It's nice to sit back and look at regular life and find those blessings. Nice post! And congrats to Kate and her cute little feet!