I am always trying to work on developing new traditions for our family. Kids thrive on it - they look forward to certain holidays or special occasions because of the memories created by traditions. The Christmas Advent. The Valentine's Dates. Popcorn and movies. Last day of school. And now, first day of school. Last year, after getting to know NieNie after learning of their nearly fatal plane crash, I read on her blog about her back to school tradition of planning a special meal and introducing a theme for the new year. I tucked this one in my brain file of great ideas I would like to implement for my family. So this year, Steve and I had a talk and in thinking about the things we wanted to emphasize as a family, we could boil it all down to one word:
Respect.
Respect your parents. Respect your teachers and school. Respect your friends. Respect each other. Respect yourselves. And most importantly, Respect the Lord.
I think as parents we all are witnesses to a growing generation of kids who pay more respect to electronics and Disney Channel than their families. Zoning out in front of the TV and not hearing a parent ask (again)for a chore to be completed. Thinking that "no more snacks - it is almost dinner time" really means "If I get the bag of dorritos and she doesn't see, it is OK". Sassy mouths speaking to their parents in ways we never would have dreamed of doing as kids. running crazy through Target when they have been told to stand by the shopping cart. I could go on. You all could probably fill in the blanks unless your kids are perfect and if they are - do share your secrets!! Us parents aren't totally off the hook either. Are we respecting our time with our kids if the computer or multi-tasking or any number of adult distractions keep us from really hearing our kids, from being there when they need us. Now, I am a firm beliver in not always having to entertain my kids - they need to learn to use their imaginations and be independent thinkers. But who of us has ever been guilty of nodding "uh-huh" and not really hearing them when they ask or tell us something important. Or received a few too many tugs at the shirt while engrossed in something on the computer? Or spend too much down time pursuing empty distractions and not taking care of household business so it is not a distraction later? I am guilty of all of these at various times.
Thus, our theme became Respect. I decided to make a plaque that we all signed and I would mount and hang near our dining table so we can always be reminded and have opportunities to discuss and remember and be reminded. I liked the idea of having one word to holler when they are getting out of control...and not a big long phrase! Respect was it.
Steve and I made a "fancy" dinner served in courses. The girls were excited and dressed up - well, Lindsay dressed up! Caroline was mad that we were serving our dinner as courses - she thought all she was going to get was the salad. She also brought a tootsie pop - that crazy girl.
We served salad with a wedge of melon, cheesy onion rolls, loaded baked potatoes, marinated and grilled london broil, and raspberry lemonade...in the fancy tall glasses.
Steve left after dinner to attend a stake priesthood meeting and when he came back, it was time for before school Father's blessings and cheesecake. I love hearing Steve offer blessings for the girls from their Father in Heaven and Daddy here. I am forever grateful for this in our family. It is always a very sacred experience. Baby Kate is learning to fold her arms and was trying her best to be reverent (for a moment) and wanted to crawl up on the chair for her turn when the big girls were done. She got a special Father's blessing too!
We finished the night off with cheesecake. A few days earlier I asked the girls what their favorite dessert was. I know they sometimes have different tastes since Lindsay loves ice cream and does not like cake and Caroline is often unpredictable. They looked at each other knowingly and said at the same time "Cheesecake." So often I make Cheesecake for a special event involving adults, to take to parties, to give away. Rarely do I make it just for my family. Christmas is murder on them - last year I made 3 dozen 5" cheesecakes to give away. They begged me to save one tiny cheesecake for us. So this was a real treat.
I am just thrilled to be working on a new tradition and while I am reasonable with my expections and I don't expect miracles I hope that the memories surrounding this special night will help us all remember to show a little more respect in our family and with those around us.
Steve and I made a "fancy" dinner served in courses. The girls were excited and dressed up - well, Lindsay dressed up! Caroline was mad that we were serving our dinner as courses - she thought all she was going to get was the salad. She also brought a tootsie pop - that crazy girl.
We served salad with a wedge of melon, cheesy onion rolls, loaded baked potatoes, marinated and grilled london broil, and raspberry lemonade...in the fancy tall glasses.
Steve left after dinner to attend a stake priesthood meeting and when he came back, it was time for before school Father's blessings and cheesecake. I love hearing Steve offer blessings for the girls from their Father in Heaven and Daddy here. I am forever grateful for this in our family. It is always a very sacred experience. Baby Kate is learning to fold her arms and was trying her best to be reverent (for a moment) and wanted to crawl up on the chair for her turn when the big girls were done. She got a special Father's blessing too!
We finished the night off with cheesecake. A few days earlier I asked the girls what their favorite dessert was. I know they sometimes have different tastes since Lindsay loves ice cream and does not like cake and Caroline is often unpredictable. They looked at each other knowingly and said at the same time "Cheesecake." So often I make Cheesecake for a special event involving adults, to take to parties, to give away. Rarely do I make it just for my family. Christmas is murder on them - last year I made 3 dozen 5" cheesecakes to give away. They begged me to save one tiny cheesecake for us. So this was a real treat.
I am just thrilled to be working on a new tradition and while I am reasonable with my expections and I don't expect miracles I hope that the memories surrounding this special night will help us all remember to show a little more respect in our family and with those around us.












5 comments:
Yummm-- Meredith's cheesecake. I like your girl's idea!!! Sounds like it was a great day/night.
LOVE it! We are often talking about respect at our house, it is a big one for me and Lee. It has a very important part in our family mission statement, it seems to encompass a lot of things. Cheesecake sounds good right now, too...
I love the idea. Parker starts school next month and I've been trying to think of something we could do for him. The cheesecake looked delicious!
Hey I have been thinking of doing something similar, remembering Nie from last year. Looks and sounds awesome! I asked Hayden last week what he wants for dinner for the last night before school and he of course said shrimp and steak - his two favorite things, so that's what we'll be having! We saw some egg rolls filled with asian pears on Food Network Star and he wants those for dessert, we'll see if I get that brave... Love it, love the respect things. Andy and I have been talking abotu this exact thing for the last few weeks but we're having a hard time getting Hayden and Brynley to understand what it means. I've been trying to come up with a word that would make more sense to them.
I am totally stealing this. The whole thing. Idea, dinner and reminders. This summer has frazzeled me, and I need to have something to look forward to. The only thing I'll miss is sleeping in. Well, and by association, staying up 'til 2 am.
Awesome idea.
Post a Comment