Yesterday Maddy and I drove out to Queen Creek to pick up our number bibs, race chips, and swag bags. I was getting excited and nervous - probably all the pomp and circumstance of having never been in a race event before. Last night Steve and I went out for a little date night - Pei Wei, frozen yogurt, and a new hot pink Under Armour. Cuz you gotta look good. Thanks Steve!!
Soon it was time for the half-marathoners to leave and for the 10K to line up. Then I had a pee emergency. Seriously, I had 5 minutes to run to the j-john's and wait in line with probably 40 other people having the same emergency! I got done with business and ran back to the start where Sarah and Rebecca were waiting. My jacket was wonky. My iPod wasn't prepped. I didn't get a chance to set my watch. And then we were off!
This race was set up on a farm, Schneph Farms, to be exact. This meant it was a mostly unpaved raceway on farm access roads. It wasn't bad to run on dirt- I actually kind of liked it. But we had a mess of rain last week and there was still a lot of mud to dodge. I think this mud prompted the last minute route change that ended up being a problem for some runners. Good thing I was kinda slow - I didn't get caught in the groups going the wrong direction!
It was a fantastic run! I will say I did walk the few feet at the 2 water stations when I was handed water and then to the trash boxes. But that was just a few steps. Turns out I was not so skilled at the being handed a cup and drinking and running thing. The rest of the time I just plowed thru one foot in front of the other. I saw people pass me. I saw people stop to walk. I just kept thinking "slow and steady wins the race." Except I didn't win. Of course. But I was steady and consistent. I had some great music to keep me company so that really helped. Also, along the route there were signs with photos of the kids who we were running for - them with their little bald heads, smiling, hugging friends and family, in hospital beds, but always smiling. The signs had motivational phrases like "Run harder!" and "You can do it!" It made me start to cry several times and made me realize that being tired or sore or having a side cramp was nothing compared to what these kids were going through.
As I started to see the balloon arch from a distance and know I was coming to the last mile, I punched it up a bit and I was so anxious to cross the finish and have one of those "family cheering you on from the sides and scooping you up in their arms at the finish line" moments but it didn't happen this way. I didn't know exactly what to tell Steve as far as my running time and when to expect me - I thought about an 1 hour 20 min. (I had never run this distance so I didn't know what to expect and I had not timed long distances for me enough to have a really good idea - I was expecting to be really at the back of the pack.) But with the race starting a bit sooner than expected and me running 10 minute miles, they missed me! Plus, there was a huge bottle neck under the balloons as we finished because of the messed up route - the faster runners would have finished sooner had they not been mis-directed. It was clogged up, turning in race tags and handing out ribbons. But I found my family eventually and there were for sure hugs all around!
I will get the official race results when they are on the web tonight but according to my looking at the clock as I crossed the line, it was about 1 hour 12 min. 27 sec. Later I realized I was supposed to subtract 10 minutes because the half was on the same clock and started 10 minutes before us. Thus, I think my time was about 62 min. 27 sec, a 10 minute mile pace. However we all wore chips that will track our official time.
So what did the family do while I was running through the mud and the "scenic" fields of Schnepf Farms? This is a very family friendly event - a $5 pancake breakfast, several bouncers, face painting, reptiles from the AZ Herpetological Society with all sorts of snakes to look at and a giant lizard, turtle, and alligator "petting zoo," several vendors selling boutique items raising money for the cause, a mechanical bull, and a Mesa Police Helicopter to check out and even sit in.












11 comments:
I just checked your blog on a whim... I have been waiting to hear from you about your race! I am so thrilled that you had a fantastic run!! Tell Sam we said way to go on getting you the pink Under Armour.
It looks like your family had a good time waiting for you, too!
Congratulations! What a wonderful accomplishment.
♥♥♥
This is just fantastic. It's great that you were able to prepare for this in only a couple of months; makes me want to set a goal for something similar myself! I have a treadmill (which gets sporadic use) and the most I've ever been able to manage is about 2 miles (once I've worked up to it). All of my most healthy & in-shape friends are runners so it must be a great thing to do :)
I loved your play-by-play of this event. Congratulations!!
Congrats! I am in awe of anyone who can run...I HATE it and probably couldn't run down the street to save my life. You probably saw 1/2 my ward there, they are all runners. And fun that you got to see Rebecca - I saw her yesterday in the temple! I got to see the beautiful sunrise too...unfortunately it was because I couldn't sleep and was up at 5:00 a.m.!
Good job! I am so impressed with you being able to do it. Maybe I can shoot for next year after my bladder is fixed, a 10k is a good decent race - good job on the 10 minute miles.
Fantastic achievement - I know I couldn't do it right now. Last time I ran, just flat out ran (from Matthew's political science classroom to the Cougar Copy), I was wheezing like a pack-a-day smoker. I think I coughed up dust from 1984 that was living comfortably in my lungs. So, my hats off to ya for doing it in a non-urgent way!
And congrats to Steve, for all of the support that makes you happy - my hat's off to him as well. (Well, my Duke hat...):D
Yeah Meredith! Way to go! What an accomplishment for you and what a cool event for the whole family. Kudos to Steve for supporting you, too. I had to laugh at your pee emergency because I was thinking that the whole run would be a pee emergency for me...=-)
WOOT! Congrats girl. I am so happy for you and I loved seeing your face. Your enthusiasm is totally contagious. SO PROUD OF YOU!!!
You are awesome. Thanks for talking me into it! What are we doing next?
Way to go!! I'm actually really impressed and inspired! Isn't it fun to find something new and fun to do that you probably never thought in a million years you would actually do. I'm really proud of you sister! Congrats!
AWESOME! Way to go, Meredith! It was fun to read about your race!
You did so great, Meredith. I loved reading your post. I wondered if it was harder for us to run on the wet dirt than road running, even though it was very soft. Anyways, great job!!!
Post a Comment