I am so glad we decided to go ahead and see U2! We had not been planning on it but Molly suggested we try to see if tickets were available. I ended up going to the Stadium ticket office the day of the show and I don't know if me carrying baby Kate in my sling made me look like I needed some killer last minute tickets for a screaming good deal or if they just had adjusted some pricing at the last minute on unsold tickets. Either way I ended up buying $35 tickets that Steve said when he looked online the day before were in the section that was $95 tickets. WOW! Whatever it was, we sat in first level about 2/3 back from the stage. Great seats.
But the real adventure was getting there. I had my babysitters worked out and met Steve at work. We grabbed a couple quick tacos across the street and jumped in the car, knowing we would probably miss part of the first act, The Black Eye Peas. 2 hours later, for a 24 mile drive that should take 25 minutes no traffic, we arrived. We crawled there. They say they even ran out of parking! An officer said they never run out for Cardinals games! (But mysteriously another lot opened up...) We finally were able to park AND they stopped taking parking $20 - so we waited forever but it was free. Ended up being easy to leave from as well because it was the closest lot to the doors and the freeway.
Completely missed the Black Eye Peas.. Kelly texted several times during the whole mess me and said they were super fun. Oh well. The radio in the car was fun too I guess. But we got there 5 minutes before U2 came on - good timing.
My personal notes: Bono announced we had "greatness in the house" with Mohamed Ali in attendance and he used that as a chance to introduce the band like introducing a fight - "In the black corner weighing in at 116 pounds..." it was hilarious! Larry Mullen Jr. keeps his typical low profile on the drums...until "I'll go Crazy" and he walked the round platform with a bongo drum - pretty cool. Adam Clayton changed his shirt about as often as a roadie handed him a new guitar and he can really rock the gray hair look. The Edge - his falsetto in the acoustic "Stuck in a Moment" was beautiful and he too changed a few times, even his beanie. And Bono - I don't think there is a better Rock Star anywhere! He was of course all in black so it was hard to tell if he changed as often as the other guys except for when he wore the light up jacket. When he pulled 3 women on stage and danced with each of them, my goodness! He then invited them to stay for another song and while they sat on the drum platform he lay down across their laps. WOW. Ever the showman and activist, we was able to weave the themes of AIDS in Africa, The President of Burma Aung San Suu Kyi and her unfounded and inhumane detention over the past 20 years, and even remained politically neutral when mentioning the election and thanking Obama and the McCain's for not forgetting the world's poor - Cindy McCain also was in the audience.
Where the Streets Have No Name - point and shoot video
The play list, if anyone cares:
Breathe
Get on Your Boots
Magnificent
Mysterious Ways
Beautiful Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Stuck In A Moment
No Line on the Horizon
Elevation
In A Little While
Unknown Caller
Until The End of the World
Unforgettable Fire
City of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy - Remix
Sunday Bloody Sunday
MLK
Walk On
One
Where The Streets Have No Name
Ultraviolet
With or Without You
Moment of Surrender












8 comments:
Yep, it sounded a lot like my experience! haha! Great show, but I paid $95. hmmmph. :)
This just appeared on my blog roll. For some reason it is not updating Kayleigh's latest blog either.
I am so glad you were able to go see U2. What a fantastic fun date for you and Sam. I guess the drama getting there was worth it!
Great review! I just love concerts. I am not very familiar with U2's last few albums; otherwise we would've considered it. I can't believe you scored $35 tickets!!
So glad you were able to go. I can't believe you have gotten a post up about it before I have, and I went a week earlier! I'm lame. It was a full 360 degrees for us. Weird. Um and I never noticed anyone changing. I think I was too googly eyed watching Bono the whole time that I hardly noticed anyone else!
i don't think i am in the u2 generation as i know nothing about them, but this looks completely awesome. you and steve are so cool to just spontaneously go to concerts like that!!
We got our tickets for the Denver concert yesterday! I'm so excited!!! We're going general admission so we'll be standing on the field, but it's all good! Counting the days until June 12th, 2010!
I am so excited that you guys were there, somehow I missed this post.
Did you already receive an email invite to my blog? If not, will you please email me so I can have your current address?
quincykaye@gmail.com
Thanks, Meredith!
Nice post! Made me feel....like putting on my boots. Did I mention I'm only slightly bitter that we bought tickets the second they went on sale and you totally had killer seats at the last minute....
Post a Comment